Thread: 1850 U.S. Infantry sword and a scabbard. Union or Confederate.

1850 U.S. Infantry sword and a scabbard. Union or Confederate.

Recently bought this from a now deceased friend. He was a bit of a Confederate collector, bought some flags, coins, muskets, 1860 trooper Union sword from him and his family. He and latter, his family gave me no history.
    This sword is a bit unusual, and I don't know exactly what I have.
    Blade 30.25 " Stamped " 1851 over US over RE or RF "one side and part of "51" other side. Has a gold guilding added for about first third and tip of blade. I can see faint old generic original engraving in couple spots, mostly polished out. Tried some coarse steel wool and guilding seems to be solidly on, even buffed out, with 000, some scratches too.
    Handle has a replace piece near pommel. Guard looks like guiding, no green material I could see. Tight, hard leather wrap. Pommel has " J.W.R." stamped and a "B" opposite side stamped.
    Scabbard from the throat to where meets the drag 35". Looks too long for this sword. Read usually only Marines had steel or iron scabbards for these. It's Iron with a seam brase full length and large clumps of brass at throat.
    I had once read that CSA used to brase the seam of their scabbards. And not too fussy about it's finish.
    So I am wondering if this is a battlefield pick up Union sword? The blade worked on and a replacement scabbard added by Confederate artisan? Or all Union sword/scabbard that's a little different?

Last edited by G.J.West; 07-18-2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added pics

I think your gilding is copper plating, done in preparation for chrome plating.

Two more pics of the gilding or copper. Looks like a strange design.

The guard looks French, other bits I am not sure..... I think its a "shotgun job" as in bits from at least two different swords put together.