Thread: Kammerstücken

Lightbulb Kammerstücken

Fellows; I have three of the five Kammerstücken here, the Germans issued officers' weapons to higher NCO's.

From the top down, Mod 1819 Infantry, dated 1888

Infantry Mod 1889, dated 1916, wartime use with subdued fittings. Wood grip.

Artillery Mod of 1812, highly evolved, also date 1916. Wood grip.

The 1889 barely changed, but the Artillery was simplified and only the blade remained the same.

There is no change to the early model of 1819, it remained the same until 1888, allowing for minor changes by the makers. The Prussians only began to procure the Kammerstücken after the War of 1870-71, I do not know what they did before 1872, one supposes that they just bought NCO weapons off the shelf with minor markings.

These are actual contract items, fully marked and dated.

I am wondering if the other WW 1 powers did the same thing. I know France did to some extent, I have no information on the British...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

BTW: Only the weapons procured before 1914-15 would have unit marks. By 1916 this practice was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    Fellows; I have three of the five Kammerstücken here, the Germans issued officers' weapons to higher NCO's.

From the top down, Mod 1819 Infantry, dated 1888

Infantry Mod 1889, dated 1916, wartime use with subdued fittings. Wood grip.

Artillery Mod of 1812, highly evolved, also date 1916. Wood grip.

The 1889 barely changed, but the Artillery was simplified and only the blade remained the same.

There is no change to the early model of 1819, it remained the same until 1888, allowing for minor changes by the makers. The Prussians only began to procure the Kammerstücken after the War of 1870-71, I do not know what they did before 1872, one supposes that they just bought NCO weapons off the shelf with minor markings.

These are actual contract items, fully marked and dated.

I am wondering if the other WW 1 powers did the same thing. I know France did to some extent, I have no information on the British...
    Britain certainly did, manufacture shared to Sheffield, plain blades without etching, and leather covered grips rather than Shagreen. Matt Easton has some cracking examples, and one of mine probably fits that catagory as well... http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...ram&highlight=

Thanks David, I had suspected that the British provided sword under contract to their NCO's..

Dale

Lightbulb More examples added..

Fellows, Here are two of the Cavalry model Kammerstücken, These are cyphered and dated for Prussia.

Apparently they did not use the Lionhead Saber for this issue, according to some of the guys on the German Forums, they could buy a Lionhead of they wished, but for free from the State of Prussia, this is what they got.

There is one more design that I know of, the Lionhead made of brass, I will have to post that as well...

Dale

Artillerie Säbel 1910

Gents: Here is the promised artillery saber, this one is dated Crown/W/10. Note that the blade is about the same as the simplified model posted above..The Prussians just changed the hilt.
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 07-28-2019 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Add pix

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    BTW: Only the weapons procured before 1914-15 would have unit marks. By 1916 this practice was discontinued.
    Hi Dale, just want to add that some of these of these Kammerstücken swords, particularly the steel hilted 89IOD and the brass hilted lion head artillery sword, can be found with 1916 dates and post WW1 (Weimar) regimental markings.

Robert: I have one of the iron hilt IOD 89 Degens with such markings.. Infantry Lehr Battalion, if I recall correctly.