Thread: what is this?

what is this?

Hi Guys and Gals

We just moved my in laws out of their home of 55 years and found this in a closet. I have no idea what this is. For all I know it is a prop. any information would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

One more pic tip of scabbard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Naval Marine officers sword 1815-1820, a valuable sword.

Actually these are composite swords made from Horstmann parts. Note that the blade is of the pattern for a CW Foot Officer's sword you can see the U.S. etched in the blade. These are often seen with Navy blades as well.

It is a post-CW composite. The blade is a Horstmann M1850 Foot Officer/S&F blade mounted with an all-brass hilt. Reportedly, at wars end Horstmann had literally barrels of these surplus blades which it mounted in a variety of different hilts including this one, an all-brass (including grip) M1840 artillery officer-style hilt, etc. Not sure to whom these were marketed, probably fraternal groups, military schools, etc. You also see Horstmann M1852 Navy officers' sword blades so mounted.
    Last edited by Richard Schenk; 07-22-2019 at 10:29 AM.

I see a dealer source I used has it wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I see a dealer source I used has it wrong!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Jeff Adee; 07-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.

so you guys think this still may be almost 200 years old?!? Holy smokes. I was going to toss it but maybe I better not.

The blades are surplus Civil War so at least 150. I was wrong I thought Bannerman put them together. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I'm not sure whether it was Bannermann, Horstmann itself, or another seller who put them together. I suspect perhaps all-of-the-above. There are a lot of these surplus blades around in a variety of hilts.

Hey thanks a lot Guys. I tried to research it myself but there is so much information. I appreciate all your expertise. I am giving this sword to my nephew so he can always remember his grandpa.

The Flayderman/Mowbray Medicus Collection book has the notes on these.

These cast P guard hilts show up earlier in the century with some blades marked to P Knecht. Horstmann was not the only furbisher mounting stuff and as the years go by, some of these missing links become more and more apparent. I believe it is the Bannerman catalogs themselves are when the sharkskin scabbards are added to such composites. These Horstmann examples once commonly regarded as the Stockton Blues militia swords but the first clue as somthing else begins with those naval etched blades. Curiously presented on ebay recently was a naval etched eaglehead pommel that has fittings looking pretty late and I suppose we shouldn't be surprised by anything but these "Stockton Blues" swords have been discussed on the net back to the late 1990s and iirc, an article referencing the Medicus book that can still be found on the old AOL collectors page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ktonblues.html

Cheers
    GC