What are your thoughts on this sword.
    1820s Infantry Officers Sword?
    32 inch blade
    No markings
    Thank you
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images      

1820s-1830s

A nice complete piece. There are distinguishing differences between the early and later examples. Likely English work and the lack of any markings fairly common. The blue&gilt of the blade might offer some further clues but we don't see the detail very well in these photos. Generically lumped into the "Ketland" type of crested eagle without a backstrap. These later examples are a bit smaller in head size and will have more chasing of design on the peen area.

Andrew Mowbray's eagle pommel book and then the Flayderman/Stuart Mowbray Medicus Collection books show the differences between the earlier and later examples.

Cheers
    GC

Nice sword Tonyo, Looks like British etch to me but I fumble etching. The hilt has a precise Solingen look even with British balls, not so ornate as the rococo examples. I would love to see crest, peen and more etch. A very unusual langet. Some of these on occasion have very differently styled langets. Very nice example indeed.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe