Thread: Need help identifying antique sword

Need help identifying antique sword

Hello all, I am trying to identify this sword in the pictures below to try and get the right scabbard for it. I've looked up countless swords and thought this could be a model 1902 FTPCC sword but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The system will automatically resize even large photos, so larger pictures individually will help. As well, dimensions and do include at leat one overall shot of the entire sword.

Cheers
    GC

From what I can see, it is indeed a Horstmann meant for parade by the Philadelphia Light Horse group.

https://www.firsttroop.com/history

Agree. Turn of the century or shortly thereafter?

Also not meant to represent the m1902 but the old m1833 that was in turn patterned on the British 1821/22

There were some associated threads from the past but this was the quick one to find.

Cheers
    GC
    http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...1-Maker-s-mark

There is a fresh one on ebay hennadly iirc

It's a nice sword.
    Tom Donoho

Thank you all. I attached two more pics. What would you recommend for period correct scabbard?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Difficult to find a correct sword for any sword, this one even more so. Usually original scabbards are found with their sword. Being a pipe back you need a far less common throat on a scabbard and proper length is another hurdle.
    I would think it best to enjoy the sword sans scabbard. No scabbard will increase the value unless the correct one. The sword displays well without a scabbard.

I just want to get the scabbard for display purposes but would like it to fit.

Try Tom Nardi at swordrestorationtn or Gundersonmilitaria

Looks like you could try a M1833 scabbard. Some of the replicas are pretty close and the scabbard might fit...

Here is a link to one that was sold by the Horse Soldier. http://www.horsesoldier.com/products...ns/swords/3762

The sword is for the "First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry"

The Horse Soldier listing dates this sword to the 1870-1880 time frame. I believe they are wrong, I do not think Horstmann used the circular logo until the early 20th century. Does anyone have evidence which would indicate an earlier use? I also note the similarity between the ferrule used on these swords and those on the M1902 all-officer swords. Perhaps coincidence, but also a possible clue to dating.

I did notice that mine had a different, older style Hortsmann logo, picture 3 in my first post, but the blade itself looks identical.

Apparently you have to get very lucky to find an M1833 scabbard. But thank you all very much for the sword knowledge!!