Thread: U S WW 2 fighting and utility knife

Lightbulb U S WW 2 fighting and utility knife

Gentlemen: Got this at a recent show in Montgomery AL. Western Cutlery W46-8. This is for sure wartime, as it has the full address and the "PAT'D" stamped below it. I do have a loose scabbard, just have to locate it..

This my favorite knife, I carried one in Nam, and have always liked the design...I did have also a Gerber MK II, but only for business use..

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Guys: This show was pretty bad, nothing of interest, then I stumbled over this knife..The price was about 1/3 of what they bandits ask on E-Pay, so I snagged it. The leather is all intact, with no damage, that is important to me, and the blade has never been messed with, just shiny from wear, no amateur sharpening!!

This is the same show that turned up a "Bancal" Mle 1822 Cavalrie Lourde saber, since then, not a lot has shown up. However, there is a fine Mexican Restaurant with a mile, so it is worth the trip to me. (90 miles on I-65)

Dale

At a good price, the old Westerns are a steal these days. The 46-8 sought for, so the prices go up. I helped create a market for the EGW knives and there has been little going back. Knives I was paying $28-$40 for are now listing and selling at much higher prices. I used to have my young nose pressed to the glass of the Western display when I was a kid in Boulder but aside from a late W-77 and an old beat up L-77 that has come and gone, I don't currently have a Western in my collection. I do have a search for them saved on ebay. I think it was at Stewart's the last time I saw a 46-8 at a good street price.

Cheers
    GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 07-30-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Glen: I looked at that one too, but....condition..

Dale

Lightbulb Modern WC Scabbard

Well I found a scabbard from Harry in Virginia, he does good work, it will do while I search my stuff...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post war, they reversed the scabbards, and added a hole in the tip for drain or tie down, I do not know which...

BTW: This fellow gets the original hardware and correct leather, which is rare these days...I think a lot of makers have no idea what "Vegetable dyed leather" means....They wave the chrome tanned clothing leather at me and tell me it is what they used in WW 2... This guy has more than a clue, he does it right!

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 08-02-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Add

The sheaths for the WW2 G46-8, the 1950s Big 8, the 1950s/1960s/1970s L46-8 and the 1970s/1980 W46-8 were all right handed, with the WW2 sheaths having the double stitch pattern most Western sheaths had into the early 1950s. Any left handed versions seen are custom or homemade jobs. The Big 8, L46-8 and W46-8 sheaths had the leg tie-down holes.

The G46-8 of WW2 came in 3 versions. The first version, and the rarest, had WESTERN over BOULDER COLO on the mark side ricasso and the patent number stamped into the pommel. I place the second version as being the ones stamped WESTERN over BOULDER COLO over PAT'D and the 3rd version as the ones stamped WESTERN over PAT'D. All 3 have red spacers, so order can't be assigned based on the presence or absence of that feature. I have assigned the order of versions 2 and 3 based on the fact that version 3, WESTERN over PAT'D, appears more often, on a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio, than the WESTERN over BOULDER COLO over PAT'D.

Western came out with the "Big 8" some time after 1952 but before 1955. The Big 8 came out after 1953 as I have seen some WITHOUT a reference to the double tang patent number and also without the model number, which was added starting around 1954/1955, depending on the model. When Western affixed a model number to the Big 8, they assigned L46-8. At the same time, they changed the model numbers for the post-WW2 Sharks and Baby Sharks from G46-6 and G46-5 to L46-6 and L46-5.

Wayne: There is an absolutely new in the box G46-8 for sale locally, it is post war and has a left hand sheath. The seller wants over $500.00 for it so I passed on it. Looks to be 1950's era anyhow..If I see it again at a gunshow, I will take pix...

Dale

Hope he shows up again. A pic a left handed 46-8 sheath would reduce the number of right-hand only offerings.

A lot of the sheaths in the 1950 catalog pages were displayed with left handed sheath.

The Big 8 is not included in any of the pages and and is not in the picture of the massive knife display cabinet Western had for hardware stores to show off the Western offering, another clue for coming out later in the 1950s. The ad for the Big 8 in the 1958-1959 catalog just shows the knife and not the sheath.