Thread: Another "What do I have here?" thread!

Another "What do I have here?" thread!

I've posted this on a couple of other websites, but the folks on this site have always been the most knowledgeable and helpful I'll post all the pics and see what you good gentleman can tell me. From what I've been able to glean from my research thus far, I think this may have started out life as a run-of-the-mill Chassepot bayonet, been captured by the Germans and adapted for their use. I didn't take any pictures of the spine since there is no script of any kind nor indication that there ever was. If the arsenal and date were ever inscribed there, it was most thoroughly polished out. In my research I found that some bayonets had a number in the hilt in the bayonet lug race (I found one on mine) and going over the whole thing with a good magnifying glass, I found two stamps on the knob on the end of the scabbard. I'll include pics of every mark I've been able to find except the the numbers "333" on the pommel as my camera couldn't get in tight enough to get a clear picture. So you blade and bayonets experts, any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

I'm no expert on these but I'm unsure whether yours was repurposed by the Germans. I've had several with German unit markings and the stamped typeface has always been quite distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by M Forde View Post
    I'm no expert on these but I'm unsure whether yours was repurposed by the Germans. I've had several with German unit markings and the stamped typeface has always been quite distinctive.
    And, quite often the frog fitting on the scabbard was changed from the normal 'goalpost' to a single stud but the photo's don't show if that's the case.

Thank you all gentlemen, but I think I have it nailed down. From what I've read, the lack of script on the spine is probably indicative of a foreign made blade (English?) with all the fittings done by the French. So it's just a run-of-the-mill Chassepot bayonet and the scabbard has the hanger loop, not the frog stud. So, nothing special.

I've seen examples marked on the blade spine with the name, Reeves, a Birmingham maker.

I've never seen British made 1866p bayonets, any photos of these? This has good info on these: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/..._chassepot.htm