Thread: 1820p 1st Life Guards Troopers Sword

1820p 1st Life Guards Troopers Sword

I missed this rarest of beasts at auction 12 months ago, so was delighted when it came my way recently. It’s one of the earlier ones with the leather covered grip, 37” blade, all 12 brass studs intact, B 47 engraved on the quillon, no makers marks or scabbard unfortunately. Apart from the loss of some of the leather it’s in relatively good condition, just needed a gentle clean with Autosol and Renaissance Wax to finish. Made a new washer and an ‘aged’ hilt liner and added an old knot I already had which is coincidentally marked 1LG! There is such little information (or examples) regarding this pattern considering it wasn’t superseded until 1882 and I would like to know who the maker was. ‘Robson’ shows a 2nd LG Troopers Sword of the same period made by Enfield. If anyone has Geoff Worrall’s article on The Household Cavalry Troopers Sword in ‘Guns Weapons & Militaria’ Vol1 no1 1982, I’d be most grateful for anything relevant. All in all it’s a great old sword, despite it never being drawn in anger! Cheers, Ben.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ben very good find indeed! I find you need Blanko or wax on the hilt liner to prevent rusting. New white buff leather does tend to rust even wax coated metal.
    I have yet to add this pattern to my collection.

Mark, many thanks for the article, wanted to read it for years but never found a copy.
    Will, thanks for the advice, it sits well next to my E.Gill 1821 HC 2nd LG!

I have a Gill 1821p HC with 38+ inch blade but not regimentally marked though I believe a HHC sword due to its longer blade length.
    The guard is sheet metal, believed to be earlier versions,the later ones having thicker guards.
    Can you post photos of your 1821P? Regimental marks would be interesting to see.

Hi Ben,
    Please remind me, if I have seen your 'E. Gill' sword? (Memory not what it was )Can you post to a link if it has been discussed. Would love to see it.

Just bumping this briefly, the few books illustrating the sword refer to the cypher as ‘1LG’, but is that an ‘S’ underneath or is it just a fancy scroll to fill the remaining space on the bowl guard?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ben I believe that is a scroll. Thanks for reminding me I still have yet to add one to my collection. Saw one years ago for sale but badly worn and shortened blade and no studs remaining.

When or what time frame were the white buff leather sword knots popular in Britian? Are reproductions available? Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Eric, buff leather sword knots have been around for a long time on Troopers Swords especially, most original ones (certainly those that I have) are late 19th/ early 20thC, as obviously they just degrade over time, but there are a few Georgian examples seen on the first regulation cavalry swords in museums and private collections and plenty of evidence of them in prints and paintings of that era. Repros are available online as well as the odd genuine one, and current British ex surplus knots.