Thread: Socket bayonet identification

Socket bayonet identification

My interest is British and Commonwealth weapons. I am trying to correctly identify this bayonet. I have been told it is a Chassepot Gendarmerie or a Chassepot Cadet. It was acquired in a bulk purchase and is outside my area of interest. I will most likely sell it but want to list it honestly and price it fairly to both myself and the buyer. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Looks Swiss to me.

With socket bayonets, profile and dimensions are keys to identification. Both the profile and measurements as posted are really close to the M1871 Swiss bayonet, which is good enough in my books.

Each bayonet back then was "tweaked" by armorers to fit a specific musket/rifle better, as "mass production to tight specifications" was there. A particular bayonet might be fitted tightly to "its rifle", be a tad loose on another and not fit at all on a third.

Based on responses on four other forums it has been identified as a Swiss M1863, which is apparently very similar to the M1871 the difference being in the thickness of the shank between the socket and blade.