Thread: Help with identification of a 18th century (military?) sword

Help with identification of a 18th century (military?) sword

Hello, I am looking for some help on identifying and dating a sword I am getting for my birthday.

Until now I have only dealt with 19th century military sabers, so this sword falls completely out of my expertise. For now I can only share the photos the dealer provided, as the sword will arrive two days from now.

While looking for similar swords, all I managed to find were these two examples that shared at least some form of comparable features, though that might be due to me lacking the knowledge of correct keywords for searching:

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...300#post937300

https://www.faganarms.com/collection...s-sword-c-1760

As far as I am aware this sword is from 18th century Europe (It was bought from a German dealer). Is it a military sword?

Also, mostly about terminology: What sword type is it? A smallsword? A spadroon? In the pictures it seems to have a Colichemarde blade, or am I mistaken?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Yes this is most probably military, but not a pattern that I could directly map to a state. Looks German or French/Northern European to me.
    Non soli cedit!

Military, but officers and private purchase, have (rewarding) fun researching it.....

Super nice withe the boat guard. I have a similar blade. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Mid-1700s and rather pretty facetting on the brass hilt there.

A small update with some measurements and details:

overall weight: 725 g

overall length: 103,5 cm

blade length: 85 cm

blade width (broader base): 3 cm

length of broader base segment: about 18-20 cm

The blade is symmetrical with a diamond-shaped cross-section, although the ridge down the length of the blade is somewhat flattened/rounded, the broader base segment has an almost hexagonal shape. It is quite flexible, as seen in the photo below (medium pressure applied). Also, here are some photos of the grip with the underside of the guard visible and one of the point. I couldn't find any markings, neither on the blade, nor on the hilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I would never advise flexing an antique blade, all it needs is one hairline crack and you have a sharp piece of steel flying back at you, and a now worthless sword.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I would never advise flexing an antique blade, all it needs is one hairline crack and you have a sharp piece of steel flying back at you, and a now worthless sword.
    Thanks for the advice, when I first tried to bend it with my hands and saw how easily it could be flexed I got a bit overzealous.

Luckily the blade seems scarred but is still in a good, solid condition.