Thread: Model 1860 Cavalry Saber - Copy or too good to be true (part 2)?

Model 1860 Cavalry Saber - Copy or too good to be true (part 2)?

Sorry to keep bothering you with fake or true questions, but these sabres are already available in Europe.
    So if I would buy them, I would avoid high transport fees and customs taxes and leave other original US heritage pieces in peace in their homeland.

Is this Model 1860 Cavalry Saber a fake or a heavily cleaned original saber? Many thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images          

I myself think it is a fake as the shape of the grip is not as it should be for a M1860.

Totally fake. Virtually nothing is right. The grip lacks the hump, the pommel dome is too high, the quillon is to short, the ricasso is too long, the blade markings are all wrong, etc, etc.

Thanks Richard, sorry to have wasted your time.
    In the future only reliable dealers.

It's not a waste of time though is it! You've avoided being cheated, and we have had a look at what is being faked currently.

Quite agree with David R.. it's good to see what is being pushed out there. I've been at this for over 50 years now and I'm happy to share what I've learned with others who may not have had the opportunity to learn yet. Things which are obvious to an old-timer may not be to a new-comer to the field. The M1833 dragoon you pictured, for example, is really a pretty good copy which if properly aged might fool a lot of folks.

There is of course no substitute for looking at and handling the real thing, and... Always consider the build quality of the item. They were made to a specification set by the government, so generally will always have decent lines and a certain quality of finish and workmanship... Which goes double for officers private purchase.

This is an Ames "replica" it is only a fake because someone is trying to sell it as an original. These are for sale new and I think sell for 125 to 150 range for reenactment. The high dome and m1840 grip on m1860 blade style is as Richard said the big red flag.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    The high dome and m1840 grip on m1860 blade style is as Richard said the big red flag.
    This is what I noticed myself immediately after posting my question. I’m nearly an expert.
    Thanks all for your kind replies.