Thread: Horstmann Marking

Horstmann Marking

Does anyone know when Horstmann used this marking? I believe it was probably about the turn of the century and likely was the mark immediately before the circular logo with the statue in the middle.

Name:  Horstmann Late Markings.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  104.7 KB

Perhaps a little earlier and soon after Germany was being added to blades, The diplomats sword I have photos of lacks the Germany, so the h in a shield appearing both with and without but the diplomat an even later looking mark (but).

Cheers
    GC
    Attached Images Attached Images    

In addition to the circular mark (one I do not have archived) was seen on an m1840 type sabre. I don't recall the listing as it was a long time ago yet iirc, the dealer had that at late 19th century so it may have been a blade source thing as well as timeline.

Do we have a single Horstmann blade stamped to WKC after that union of companies?

Cheers
    GC

I have not seen a Horstmann blade marked with WKC per se, but there is an odd Horstmann cavalry saber which has the Kirschbaum knight's head mark stamped on the ricasso below a Horstmann logo similar to the one seen in the first post. WKC seems to have used the knight's head on some post-merger swords well into the 20th century. I believe this is a likely post-merger WKC blade.

Name:  M1872 Horstmann Heavy Gunderson  2.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  M1872 Horstmann Heavy 16.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  106.8 KB

This is an unusual sword in that the hilt is similar to the M1840 and M1860 cavalry officers' hilts. Its blade is like that of the M1872 cavalry officer's with a wider blade and a stopped fuller rather than the narrower M1872/80 Field and Cavalry officer sword's blade with unstopped fuller. The grip is wrapped with white ray skin vice black shark skin. The form of this sword would suggest an early date, perhaps the early 1870s, but I believe the associated Horstmann logo is much later than that - perhaps the 1890s That is one reason for my question, i.e. trying to pin down a date for this sword..

You don't have the circular logo in your archive? Here is an example:

Name:  Horstmann Brown Knot 3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  100.3 KB

Here is the logo Horstann used on his Type 2 of the so-called M1875 USMC musicians' swords. It is somewhat like the first logo in this thread, but in old English letters and in an elongated hexagon box. It dates from the 1890s.

Name:  M1875 USMC Musician Horstmann Ames 5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  98.3 KB

As for the old English "H" in the shield, I have seen it on a broad range of post-CW blades including the Type 1 USMC musicians' swords which, like your diplomat's sword, had the name "HORSTMANN/PHILADELPHIA" stamped on the obverse ricasso and the "H" in shield on the reverse. These date to the mid-1880s. It also appears on an odd post-CW M1840-style NJ NCO sword. It has no other Horstmann markings:

Name:  Odd NJ Nco.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  96.1 KB
    Last edited by Richard Schenk; 08-26-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Stumbled across today, a listing describing a blade mark as W.H.H.&J. with Philadelphia on the obverse Unfortunately no image of the mark. A post Widmann eagle

Name:  _DSC0115__79246.1550068667.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  90.5 KB

Cheers
    GC

Guys: WK&C used the two head logo until 1918, their current logo is the Knight's Helmet...Which they used after 1918. Kirschbaum and Weyersburg merged in 1884/85, and they combined their logos after that.

Dale