Thread: Sabre Cuirassier Atelier de Paris with An XIII hilt

Sabre Cuirassier Atelier de Paris with An XIII hilt

Back to my original collecting and interest field: Napoleonic sabres. What would you think of this cuirassier saber?

It has an early An XI blade marked with the "Faisceau de licteur" of the revolutionary Administration de la Guerre (1793-1799) and with AP of the "Arsenal de Paris/Atelier de Précision" (1795-1814) (approval for foreign (Solingen) made blades and/or approval for repaired blades).

At some time its point was sharpened to the "1816" pattern and the sabre received also a "model 1816" scabbard with number 315.
    Probably at the same time the blade has been rehilted with an An XIII hilt with the original number struck out and the same number 315 applied.

I think it is an original French Napoleonic sabre. What do you think about it? Can the hilt and leather be cleaned and revitalised?

The photos may not be of best quality as it was very difficult to convince the current owner to even make a few close ups.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by DirkS; 08-29-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Hello Dirk,
    Nice example with a good patina and fire-gilt still visible on the hilt.Re-issued as shown by the overstamping on the hilt but the amount of turns of wire ( eleven full ones ) indicate first empire,so done before Waterloo...If it had been refitted post Waterloo they put fourteen turns of wire...Probably fitted into the 1816 scabbard at the same time as these were in use by the time of Waterloo...Lots of debate on that but there are lots of examples of the 1816 scabbard in museums and collections that were picked up from the battlefield...It’s been a while but I read an article that the French would issue items to the troops prior to official acceptance...As for the leather I use an American product “Pecard” leather restorer and also “Renaissance wax” as used by the British Museum... I have had good results with both with over the years...
    Regards,
    Paul..

Use black shoe dye on the leather and once dry Renaissance Wax. Interestingly I have a 1816 by Klingenthal with #308 on the scabbard.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your review and tips.
    Doesn’t it bother you that there’s no “Versailles” mark on the hilt. There are several “B” poinçons, but no “Versailles”. I don’t think there were other official hilt manufacturers than Versailles and Klingenthal.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Interestingly I have a 1816 by Klingenthal with #308 on the scabbard.
    Related swords preparing for the final (Waterloo) battle?

Hello Dirk,
    It wouldn’t bother me with a lack of “Versailles” mark...just makes it more interesting....That hilt is 100%..Nice to see the original wire and the way it is “contorted” showing the sword was handled....Waterloo? ...Quatre Bras ?...Interesting thought...
    Regards,
    Paul..

You may find this of interest Dirk. http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...-pre-1822-Help

Great, thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
    Related swords preparing for the final (Waterloo) battle?
    Unfortunately not, etched on the spine is the date 1820

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.H View Post
    You may find this of interest Dirk. http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...-pre-1822-Help
    Hi Michael,

Yes, before starting this thread I already did some research into AP Arsenal de Paris and found your thread among others on a French forum.

Thanks for your help!

I understand the Renaissance Wax is meant as protection for the brass of the hilt. How to "clean" the brass to remove dirt and excessive oxidation without damaging it?

Found these threads:
    http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...tion-of-Patina
    http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...p-Conservation
    Last edited by DirkS; 08-31-2019 at 08:14 AM.