Thread: German Artillery Sidearm 62nd

German Artillery Sidearm 62nd

An interesting German field artillery 1870p sidearm based on the German bayonet. Regimentally marked on the crossguard with the same regiment as etched onto the blade circ WW1. I googled the regiment and there is some good info and photos showing soldiers wearing the sidearm. Made by Carl Eichorn, two squirrels back to back on the ricasso.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 09-03-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Really nice example.

Will: Walking out dress, Seitengewehr M 54 IIRC. I have one for the Garde Artillerie, and most are always missing the scabbard...I think the Canonieren hung them on the wall!

Dale

Great catch Dale!

Gene: I actually have an issue and a walking out dress from the Garde Art. I will post them later today..

Dale

Hi Dale,
    I'll look forward to seeing them together.

Those are some lovely etched panels. The blade reminds me of the elaborate hunting swords of that era.

Lightbulb Fachinenmeßer Mod. 1854

Fellows: This weapon lasted longer in service as a walking out dress item than as an issue piece.

The blade on the walking out dress is usually straight, the issue is curved. I suspect it was done to simplify manufacture, they used the SG 71 bayonet blade to make the FM 54 for private purchase.

On the issue weapon, they at first, recycled the earlier FM of the 1830's. This leads to examples with a date later than 1854 on the hilt, and a blade with an earlier date. They also used the earlier scabbards...The fitting were about the same as the Mod 1860 Fusilieren Bayonet, and the later Mod 1871 bayonet. All that varied was the leather.

This etched blade private purchase is marked for the 1st Garde Field Artillery, and could be anywhere from 1872 to 1914.

The issue piece is marked for the 3rd Garde Art. and is actually from 1905 or so. The Prussians reissued this for the Garde Artillery about that time for reasons unknown to me. Maybe it was considered "Retro-Cool" or something like that, or it was for parade use. I do not know. This re-issue was only for the Garde Artillerie units, the rest of the Artillery had a bayonet or saber if they were mounted, and only used this for walking out dress.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Excellent information and comparison Dale.
    It's been so long since I've seen one of the issue ones that it's usefull to see the two types side by side. I'd assumed that the etched blade was the same length as the standard.

Will,
    Sorry I meant to say congrats on the great find.
    I think I just assume that everything Germanic belongs to Dale!

Beautiful example and stunning condition.
    Was it a lucky find or the result of a bit of a quest?
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 09-07-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Gene: Just turned up locally at one of our shows, and one was at Stewart's in AZ...Not a lot of funds were needed, all at reasonable prices..

ETA: I have seen the private purchase versions with curved and straight blades, but most were the straight variety. It was a lot cheaper for the makers to use the straight version, but apparently they did sell the "Ordnanz" or regulation version as well..

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 09-07-2019 at 08:34 AM.