Thread: Can this sword be connected to the Anglo Boer War?

Can this sword be connected to the Anglo Boer War?

Good Evening.

I am Chris from South Africa, Cape Town area. It is an honour to be member here. I am not a 'collector' but I have a few bajonets and an unhealthy interest in weapons.
    My next post will address my sword problem!

Regards
    Chris

I recently bought a very neglected Pattern 1821 sword that might have been a British Officer's sword during the Anglo Boer War. But I cannot find Captain Ramage anywhere. The Stellenbosch Mounted Infantry did exist during the war.
    Where can I search for the Captain?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]154726
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is the sword.

Name:  AD 12.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  96.1 KB

He's listed on page 1168v of the Army List for March, 1901. See screen grab, below. There are other relevant sources, as well. Enter this search string in Google and you'll see them (include the quotation marks):

"Stellenbosch Mounted Infantry" Captain Ramage

Here's a sidelong reference from The African Review, June 2, 1900:

"CAPTAIN WARREN in command of No 1 Reserve Squadron Kitchener's Horse who was severely wounded at the Battle of Thaba Nchu although not old in years is a veteran campaigner having been through every South African war since 1879 with the exception of the Langeberg affair He formed one of Jameson's party and subsequently on his return to South Africa became associated with the Stellenbosch Mounted Infantry under Captain Ramage Captain Warren went through part of the Natal campaign under General Buller and then returned to Capetown to take up the position of Camp Commandant at Rosebank Upon reaching De Aar with his squadron he was appointed Provost Marshal to Lord Kitchener throughout the expedition to Prieska After the pacification of the north west he joined the field force under Lord Roberts."

Chris that is a very nice sword to a seasoned veteran, provenance is excellent. I wonder if he had children and they continued in SA?

Thanks a million Mark! I will do some Googling.

Hi Will. I think this is the same person. He might have settled in South Africa?

Name:  Ramage 2.png
Views: 68
Size:  20.1 KB

He was already there in 1897 working as principal of Rondebosch Boy's School, so he likely enlisted when the war broke out. Assuming he survived and returned to his role at the school, they may have some archival info about him.