Thread: Help ID Scottish infantry basket hilt sword

Help ID Scottish infantry basket hilt sword

Hi long time since I posted but am hoping the forum might be able to help date a Scottish basket hilt sword a relative has recently bought and decipher the markings the blade - see the pics. It looks like it has had an old repair to part of the hilt....

If anyone can help that would be great. Infantry swords are a bit outside my comfort zone and main interest of 1796 LC officers swords and variations.

Does anyone also know where I could source a liner for the hilt?

Many thanks, Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by B Hutchins; 09-08-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Appears to be a sergeants sword with sold from service opposing broad arrows. I would think Pooley Sword in the UK or William Scully of Montreal can supply liners.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Appears to be a sergeants sword with sold from service opposing broad arrows. I would think Pooley Sword in the UK or William Scully of Montreal can supply liners.
    Thanks Will, really helpful any idea what the other markings mean? Or a time frame?

Many thanks, Ben

The other marks would be inspection markings, the EC, not sure but may be ra egimental marking.

Any idea which regiment it could be? I'm used to seeing officers swords so could do with all the help i can get! Could E C stand for Edinburgh Castle?

Thanks , Ben

I do not know what EC represents. If this was an officers sword it may have regimental etching etc. These pain bladed swords are difficult or cannot be associated to a particular regiment other than a Highland one. No markings on the inside of the basket? Unfortunately no scabbard, sometimes they were marked.
    Appears to have a nice wide blade which displays well. What is the blade width and length?

The flat bar construction of the basket would indicate late 19th century IMHO. Earlier examples tend to have more rounded lines and thinner bars.