Thread: Kukri marks help please.

Kukri marks help please.

Hi all, I have just acquired an old british marked Kukri Knife with marks. On the base of the handel is a: (?) mark
    And on the spine of the blade there is a: (2GR 787) So i think this means the: 2nd Gurkha Regiment No 787 or the date of: 7th month, July, 1887? As I'm not sure if the Gurkha's had Regimental numbers or not?

Thanks for any help. Michael Cox (Mick).
    Last edited by M.Cox; 09-12-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Pictures of the Kukri and the markings will be absolutely vital in any identification.

Hi Gene, Can i upload to this forum or do i need a host? Mick

Quote Originally Posted by M.Cox View Post
    Hi Gene, Can i upload to this forum or do i need a host? Mick
    Hi Mick,

You can upload directly.
    When you click to reply to this, click the 'go advanced' button under the text box and you can upload from your PC.

Ok thanks, I'm going on holiday this Monday. So as soon as I get back i will take some photo's for you. Mick

Hi all, I'm back from my holiday's and while I was away I saw another Kukri "Military" I think? So I now have two to photograph for you to checkout! MICK
    Last edited by M.Cox; 09-22-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Hi all, I now have the flu! but I have taken: 109 photo's of my four Kukri's so I will post them very soon. Mick
    The one that I'm asking about is the last one down on this photo. The middle one has: (772TT) marked on the handle?
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by M.Cox; 09-26-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Here is the other one (The middle one in my photo) here.
    Last edited by M.Cox; 09-26-2019 at 08:04 AM.

This one I think is a: Commercial piece! But what do you think?
    Last edited by M.Cox; 09-26-2019 at 09:07 AM.

My last one! A Villager model, I believe? I love this one Mick

Please let me know if you want any more photo's. And thanks again for any help. Mick
    btw, All four cost me: £150.00 all in which I think is a fair price for them all.
    Last edited by M.Cox; 09-26-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Correction it should read: (2R 787) and not: (2GR 787) Sorry, Mick

Hi Mick

The villager seems to be a good representative example.

The one with the brass bands I would class as a post-war Indian made souvenir.
    They appear during the war and were sold en-masse to soldiers wanting to bring home an 'authentic' kukri.
    The quality to start with is excellent and some were even carried by enthusiastic non-Ghurka troops in the Asian theatrers.
    The handle is black buffalo horn.

The other two are the best.
    Both look military and are IMHO early 20thC.

I sold my collection of Kukri years ago and there are far better to give you more information on these. Hopefully they will chime in.

Hi Gene, Thanks for your information on two of my Kukris and yes hopefully some others will chime in with some more information about my other two military Kukris.

Thanks again, Mick
    Last edited by M.Cox; 10-06-2019 at 12:17 PM.