Thread: When was the model 1816 scabbard for the French cuirassier saber An XIII introduced?

When was the model 1816 scabbard for the French cuirassier saber An XIII introduced?

I understand that the Napoleonic sabre de cuirassier An XI was accompanied by a heavy metal scabbard model An XI.

Nowadays the An XI/XIII cuirassier one encounters have usually a lighter model 1816 metal scabbard. The original heavy metal An XI scabbard seems very difficult to find.

I read that this model 1816 scabbard was already issued in 1814. The same case it seems as the adaptation of the point of the blade on these sabers into ‘type 1816’ as already was done before Waterloo (1814-1815).

I read the usual suspects: Richard Dellar, Ariès, Pétard, Gazette des Armes, Tradition Magazine. Nowhere I can find an official source describing the distribution of these model 1816 scabbards or the start of adaptation/shortening and pointing the blade tip.

Does anyone have more information?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DirkS; 09-25-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Don't know if there is anything written but the proof they were not issued before 1816 is in the inspectors marks on the scabbards, you wont find any 1816 type scabbards with pre 1816 inspector markings.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.H View Post
    Don't know if there is anything written but the proof they were not issued before 1816 is in the inspectors marks on the scabbards, you wont find any 1816 type scabbards with pre 1816 inspector markings.
    Really? Could you elaborate?

Like the swords the scabbards have inspector marks either on top of the mouthpiece,scabbard bands, drag or sometimes on all these parts I have had a few An XIII swords with 1816 type scabbards and none have had pre 1816 markings on them.

I understand as I thought. Personal collection experience. Thanks for the tip, I’ll have more attention for scabbard poincons in the future.

Found this on a sword forum about the spear pointing of swords before 1816.

L'Hoste on pallasche point grinds. It is extremely rare to find Waterloo ANXII's with axe faced points. The 1816 has a much finer foible than the ANXII, thus it was purpose made for the spear point. Binck was my source for comment that unit grinding was common by the last German Campaign and 100 days produced swords appear to have come out with a spear point.

Very interesting information Michael. Many thanks. You might not have more specific information on the sources? I fear not.
    I sent an email to Mr. Jean Binck (address found on one of his articles of about 10-15 years ago). He seems not to have visited this forum since 2011. I hope he finds the time and motivation to reply (if the address is still in use). I hope he is well.

Thanks Michael