Thread: British Proof slug ID help

British Proof slug ID help

On East India Company Indian Navy circa 1845-1858 blade type can some ID the maker? Many Thanks

Closest match I can find (including the ‘sunburst’ design) and given it’s Navy, would be Joseph Dudley listed at High Street, Portsmouth 1830-1871. Not conclusive though as I’ve found several cutlers/retailers who used that fleur de lys symbol if that’s what it is.

Being an EIC sword it's pre 1858 which can rule out some makers.

I think that looks like a badly stamped Reeves proof slug and I've seen their fleur-de-lys slug used with this sunburst pattern before.

Reeves also appear to use a different type of 'sunburst' pattern with this slug.

Previously i would have associated sunbursts more with Mole especially this one, but I now think Reeves may have used them too.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on who’s proof slug this example may represent. May I request that the three of you based on the responses review and attempt to reach a consensus? Regardless, Thanks again.

Here's one from a sword of mine kindly identified By Jonathan as likely being Reeves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would access the build quality of the sword before going with Reeves. Reeves made swords comparable to Wilkinsons and was an excellent maker.
    There are 6 makers that use the fleur de lis, ref Swords for Sea Service, I'm sure later references contain more.
    I have a known Reeves circ 1850 (registered hilt before becoming patent hilt) with a similar proved disc and Reeves etched onto the blade. The disc lettering is very well done as is the fleur de lis, note the edge around the disc. At least a known Reeves for comparison.

Hi George and Gene,

Out of interest what if anything, is etched on the reverse ricasso of your respective swords please? Any retailers?

Retailer: Manders & Allender, Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I would access the build quality of the sword before going with Reeves. Reeves made swords comparable to Wilkinsons and was an excellent maker.
    There are 6 makers that use the fleur de lis, ref Swords for Sea Service, I'm sure later references contain more.
    I have a known Reeves circ 1850 (registered hilt before becoming patent hilt) with a similar proved disc and Reeves etched onto the blade. The disc lettering is very well done as is the fleur de lis, note the edge around the disc. At least a known Reeves for comparison.

That looks like it's a real beauty Will.

The fleur de lis proof slug was used by a lot of makers - it cannot therefore be used by itself to identify the maker. It was certainly used by Reeves (and in my opinion used by Reeves first), but we find it on a great number of swords which were definitely not Reeves' work - most notably, it seems to have been the standard slug used by German makers and we know from period records that the majority of unknown maker swords in the UK up until the 1880s were German made. It was only after the 'sword scandals' of the 1880s that German import blades seem to have diminished in prevalence. We know for certain that the fleur de lis cannot only be attributed to Reeves for several reasons, but most compellingly because they continue to appear on swords after Reeves stopped making swords!

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts on my swords proof. I have gone over it with a very powerful magnifying lens and there is no makers signature. So while I may never know for sure who is the maker I again appreciate all who contributed to this thread.