Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sold as a 'royal engineers' pattern, but...

Matt,

I'm surprised by wooden scales. Do you think they are replacements? Are they chequered?

Not uncovered wooden - wooden with shagreen over the top. Definitely original and not that uncommon. I have two naval examples and one artillery:

Name:  IMG_20191002_113329.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  97.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    Composition grips are more brittle and I have seen several broken examples (and owned one). Leather grips are stronger in that sense, but they wear down and are vulnerable to the weather. There were also solid hilts with wood and shagreen grip scales - I have three examples of these.
    I would think composite grips when new were not brittle. Over 100 years of drying/curing has made them brittle. The only later examples is the 1908p troopers sword, many of these not yet brittle. The grip breaks I see all are from impacts to the pommel usually from a fall, the hilt being the heavier end of a sword.

The material that 1908 grips are made of seems to be quite different to what most patent hilts use. Note that the chequering is a lot harder and more precise on patent hilt grips than is possible with the softer material of the P1908.
    Best,
    Matt

Matt that did come to mind but I assumed age would harden even these up to some degree. However you can still smell a scent off the 1908p grips. One sword I have had a break and the material was black though the surface was brown. That was the rifle officer's sword from your auction house with brass scabbard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12