Thread: Mameluke Sword

Mameluke Sword

I have recently bought a Mameluke sword/scabbard with the name of the retailer Badham, Pile & Co. Bombay, Poonah & Secunderabad stamped on the ricasso, an etched, unfullered blade, with Victorian cypher and 'Made in Germany' on the blade edge. Wear on the scabbard and original sword knot suggests extensive service use, presumably in India.
    The Germans appear to have started putting 'Made in Germany' on exported goods in the late 1880s. So I assume the sword should date 1880-1901.
    On the forum this company was briefly mentioned in 2016. All I can find however is an advert in the Bombay Gazette late 1880s, which indicates they were Military Outfitters. Has anyone seen any information on the firm Badham Pile & Co. or possess a sword marked with their name and a better history? Three branches in India suggests an extensive operation.
    Grateful for any thoughts.
    Thanks
    David Howell

Hi David,

There are two examples from Badham, Pile & Co on OldSwords.com - a P1845 Infantry with VRI cypher (so post-1876) and a P1821 Light Cavalry.

Hope that helps,

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

The only definite dating evidence I can find is an 1889 gazette reference to them as a saddle supplier.

Badham Pile were definitely retailing swords before the 1892 blade came in.

Old swords also suggests Badham & Hale & Co were another iteration of the company but no dating info for either so it's unclear which came first.

You could try searching for dating info on Badham & Hale & Co.

James, many thanks.
    DH

John, many thanks
    DH