Thread: Another US M1860 Cavalry Saber for evaluation and (dis)approval.

Another US M1860 Cavalry Saber for evaluation and (dis)approval.

What are your thoughts on this US M1860 Cavalry Saber. It is supposed to be an Ames from 1863. Many thanks for your review!
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Last edited by DirkS; 10-13-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Some details from the photos above:

Inspected by ADK, Andrew D. King 1840 to 1865. US issue marked to 1863 with the dish pan front guard so definitely US made. Grip leather and wire intact as well as scabbard washer. Can't read maker its to blurry, could you translate as many letters as you can or post better maker mark photo.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thanks for the reply, Eric.
    Here are a few more photos by the current owner:

Ames sword

And here is your mark. Better photos help. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

The Ames mark is more faded than on your example.

So all authentic and genuine?

Yes indeed.

I know there are a lot of fakes and reproductions made with the intent to deceive, but if I saw that sword at a decent price, I'd be all over it. Granted, I'm not too knowledgeable about U.S. arms, but that's a beauty! Good for you!

Thanks Eric and Lawrence for the confirmation. I managed to buy it. And I don't think I overpaid.

My M1860 arrived. Here it is after removing only the active rust as there was plenty of it on the outside, luckily without pitting.
    Two more markings showed itself: D.K. (with partial D.) for A.D.K. Andrew D. King 1840 to 1865 on the pommel, and W (?) on the throat/sputcheon of the scabbard.

There remains a problem: the sabre is difficult to withdraw from and insert into the scabbard. It fits completely, but not smoothly. Probably there's also some active rust within the scabbard as there was on the outside. Any remedies? Thanks for the advice!