Thread: Strange Late Eagle Pommel Society of the Cincinnati?

Strange Late Eagle Pommel Society of the Cincinnati?

This one passed through ebay iver the past weeks. I had never seen one quite like it and it was listed as coming from a member of the society.

A strange brew. The Maker's family does go back to the 18th century but my take is more like the 1840s.

Thoughts? I did not grab the item itself but here are the images.

Cheers
    GC
    Attached Images Attached Images              

I thought this was a nice sword and I had a bid in on it. Then the seller cancelled the auction. I guess someone made him an offer he could not refuse. Anyone here get it??

We'll see in time I guess. In following it after the auction, it does appear to have sold.

I'm immediately having a senior moment but at least one member of the society had received one of the 1812 war presentations, that was an eagle pommel belonging to Joshua Barney but who's to say one of the American Revolution congressional presentations didn't also belong to one or another of the group.

https://www.societyofthecincinnati.o...t_interior.pdf

What I have not inquired of the society is if there was ever a specific associated pattern.

Cheers
    GC

It looks to have a modified knuckle guard that is similar to that of an officer's sword of the royal archers in Scotland. This "pattern" of a knuckle guard (and the archer officer's shell guard) turn up on swords throughout the 19th century.
    Tom Donoho

It was done by a London shop, so those traits would fit.

Cheers
    GC

Yes. I think the basic archer officer's hilt was used for other swords on request of the client, perhaps. I have one with such a hilt and a straight heavy single-edged blade (not a court-sword clade) with a puch for a proof disc (disc absent) and a heavy wire wrapped grip with turk-head ferrules and a helmet pommel. This was gotten from a Southern family who said it had been with them forever and was possibly an ancestor's "fancy sword" for dress--perhaps Confederate use, but that is just an assumption based on the circumstances.
    Tom Donoho