Thread: ESK 10 Survival Kit Knife

Lightbulb ESK 10 Survival Kit Knife

Guys: While thrashing thru my stuff, looking for a Palosch, I found this item. WW 2 USAAF SE Asia survival kit knife. 328 were procured in 1943-44 for this use.

Cruver Mfg had the contract and Collins made the blades, but Cruver had the facility to mold the grip onto the blade. I have not yet found who made the scabbards.

This one is as made with the waxed paper and cosmoline wrap on the blade, probably never issued.

M H Cole though this was some kind of clandestine OSS knife for the Philippines, it is not. For one thing the OSS did not operate in those islands..

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What an interesting piece, I have never heard of such knives. The pommel looks pretty similar to Moro Krises from the Philippines, so the connection would not be entirely out of place. This one is a modern rendition of such arms:

And one original:

Juan J.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Juan; This is why a lot of collectors thought this some kind of super secret OSS Kris Knife! Carter Rila, some years ago found the contract documents and solved the mystery.

I think even the least bright Japanese soldier, would have noticed that this was not a native made knife, thus rendering the OSS story to the circular file...

Dale

I see... on the other hand, quite a huge knife for a pilot!

(OK, it is told that Japanese ones carried their wakizashis in their narrow cockpits, but well...)
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Juan: Carried in a big survival kit in larger aircraft, fighter pilots got the folding type with the metal edge protector, that was part of the parachute pack...

Dale

Ok, that has sense... thanks!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON