Thread: German Imperial Sword?

German Imperial Sword?

Hello

What are your thoughts on this sword.
    I was thinking a German Export sword 1930s?
    No maker marks.
    I always thought these swords had steel scabbards.
    Miner swords had leather scabbards correct?
    Thank you
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Tony: You have a "Schleppssäbel" These are not issue, rather private purchase for wear by former or inactive members of the Prussian Army. This is the Artillery version, there are also Cavalry and Infantry versions. The Cavalry is the same as this one, but gold, the Infantry is a slightly modified IOD 89...

This saber, whether gold or silver, always came with a leather scabbard with fittings of the same color. The IOD 89, since it was never issued with a leather scabbard, used the usual model,usually nickel, but two rings, and leather grip. It seems they just used obsolete versions of whatever branch in the late Imperial Era.

These were allowed to be worn by certain persons who belonged to a number of organizations in Imperial Germany, each State had their own regulations. With crossed hammers, Bergbau (mining) etc...there were a number of factors that determined the type and finish worn by these former military men...I do not know them all, but the main thing is that they used the weapon of their last branch of service.

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 10-15-2019 at 05:09 AM. Reason: add bs..

Hello Dale
    Thank You so much for the help and information.
    I would have never guessed former or inactive members of the army, very interesting.
    thanks again for always helping.
    Tony

Tony: I had to join a German Language site just to find out..I have the 1901 Catalog and wondered what heck was going on with all the "Schlepsäbeln" listed with the Lodge Swords ??? It took a while for the Germans to answer me, but when they did, they provided a detailed explanation...Apparently in 1900 Germany, they had regulations about wearing swords and they makers made the acceptable models for those that were allowed to wear them.

Dale

Hi Dale
    Sorry you had to join that site to get the information.
    I had no idea they had such strict regulations for wearing swords.
    Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it
    Tony

Lightbulb Verein/Association Sabers

Tony: It was fun posting in my second language...I should find the musterbuch and post the page....Found the book, pix added..

Bergbau or Mining has the crossed mallets. The rest are listed as "Vereinssäbeln" or Asscociation Sabers, note various scabbards and types listed.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 10-15-2019 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add pix...