Thread: Prussian Telegraph Batt. Drivers' Saber

Lightbulb Prussian Telegraph Batt. Drivers' Saber

Guys: I have all kinds of these etched and blued German Swords, but this is first one I have ever seen for a Prussian Telegraph Battalion Driver. One sees Husar X, Kürrasier Y, Dragoner Z, etc. but rarely the support troops, other than one Train Battalion Saber that was named to the Soldier/Trooper...

Apparently Fahrer Schmidt did his 3 years and bought this saber as a remembrance of his time in the service, that was the usual practice in those days.

"Fahrer" is the German term for "Driver". So Herr Schmidt drove the wagons, and those fellows were issued the Blüchersäbel. In the Artillery, such units were called "Bespannungs Abteilungen" or Towing Detachments, I am not sure what the actual use was with Telegraph and other support troops, but Fahrer seems appropriate to me.

This one is made by WK&C, and is intact--miriable dictu! The fish skin is not dried out and flaked, the wire is all there, just the century of airborne corrosion has started to affect the nickel plate of the grip, the blade however, is just fine with no nicks or bends. The scabbard did it job well, with the fir wood lining, the blade looks almost new...

Overall length is 1.03 M, the blade is 81 CM, and the width is the usual 25 MM, thickness is 6MM at the hilt.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      

This is the first one of these I have ever seen either Dale. Nice find!
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Thanks for sharing Dale, it's an absolute beauty and I doubt that any of us will ever see one in person.

Guys: I have had the issue sabers just unit marked, but this one is first I have ever seen in 45+ years...

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    Guys: I have had the issue sabers just unit marked, but this one is first I have ever seen in 45+ years...

Dale
    I didn't even know that there was a specific 'Telegraph Battalion'!
    What a great snapshot of a moment in the evolution of military communications.
    Presumably these 'Telegraph' units became amalgamated into the Signals Corps?

Lightbulb Jeff Noll's "T" listing

Guys: Here is the listing from Jeff's book. Note the block letter (Romanisches Schrift) for Train units, and the Italic T for Telegrafen units...

This is how one tells the difference in unit marks, block T for Train and Italic T for Telgraf units. The Prussians used this convention quit a bit in their unit stamps. They would use the same letters, with one being a scrip style to differentiate the meaning.

I think eveyrone who collects German Weapons should have this book...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images