Thread: Painted Steel Scabbard Rust Removal And Inhibition?

Painted Steel Scabbard Rust Removal And Inhibition?

I have a WW2 Japanese NCO sword in very good original condition,but in a few areas rust has broken through on the painted steel scabbard.

Can anyone let me know the best way of dealing with the rust,preserving the original paintwork and inhibiting further corrosion of the already affected areas,please?

Renaissance wax works to seal out the atmosphere. I would apply somewhat generously and use a heat gun on low just enough to melt the wax so it travels into the corrosion for a complete seal.

Thanks for the tip Will, getting it into rust in sensitive areas has always presented a problem on pieces you want minimal intrusion on. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

However I will avoid using a heat gun. It could easily affect the paint if overheated. I think that Ren Wax is fluid enough at room temperature to soak and seal the rust before it dries. At least in a Spanish room! ;-)
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

You can also heat objects that fit in an oven at about 150F. The flood caused by hurricane Katrina left collections submerged for some time. What was found that antique objects, firearms/edged weapons coated in the wax and heated survived better than ones that just had the wax applied at room temp. Other methods faired worse.
    I think 'just enough to melt the wax" is a good visual indicator and done correctly prevents excessive heating. I used wax on a British 1760 cannon ball with broad arrow that has overall corrosion that has voids.
    I found just applying by cloth did not seal and prevent flaking. Once I heated the cannon ball the wax penetrated and prevented further flaking. It took plenty of heat just to warm the 24 lb ball.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you can neutralise any active rust before you apply the Wax then all the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Renaissance wax works to seal out the atmosphere. I would apply somewhat generously and use a heat gun on low just enough to melt the wax so it travels into the corrosion for a complete seal.
    Thanks Will I'll try ren wax when I get some.For neutralising the existing rust spots I believe caustic soda in hot water applied judiciously is worth trying.

I've never tried that method, please report back findings!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Thomas View Post
    I believe caustic soda in hot water applied judiciously is worth trying.
    DO NOT TRY THIS, CAUSTIC SODA AND HOT WATER IS A VERY VOLATILE AND DANGEROUS COMBINATION !!!!!!!!

Regards,
    Norman.
    Last edited by Norman McCormick; 11-03-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Baking soda would neutralize rust and is not dangerous, you can eat it.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

As mentioned, make sure that the active rust is removed and that the metal is correctly dried before applying. Rust can still form under the wax if enough hydrocarbons are left underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
    DO NOT TRY THIS, CAUSTIC SODA AND HOT WATER IS A VERY VOLATILE AND DANGEROUS COMBINATION !!!!!!!!

Regards,
    Norman.
    Thanks,I am aware of the potential hazards of caustic soda.I didn't know baking soda can perform the same task as pointed out by Mr Faibanks,so will go with that...
    Last edited by Mark Thomas; 11-05-2019 at 05:26 PM.