Thread: French 1822 Light Cavalry Sabre

French 1822 Light Cavalry Sabre

Hi All
    Just picked up an example of the above sabre. After researching it I'm certain that it was made for export to other countries and not for the French army. The weapon in question was made at Chatellault, it is undated, and is marked Henry Entrepreneur. There are some marking on the hilt that look like inspectors Mark's and a number which is the same on the scabbard. The scabbard has 2 rings I assume dates it to being an earlyish one
    Can anybody give me any information on who this Henry chap is, and when he was Entrepreneur at Chatellault. Also can anyone tell me which countries imported 1822 Sabres.
    Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Graham

Graham can you post photos of the sword?

Hi Will
    I've just gone on holiday and will post some photos when I get back.
    Cheers
    Graham

François-Louis Henry was the entrepreneur at Châtellerault from 1866 to 1888. Châtellerault was owned by the French government, but it was managed by a private entrepreneur. This entrepreneur was also given the permission to produce a certain amount of weapons for private sales. What you have there is one of those. They are usually meant for officers, but could also be made for regiments. The rack number present on the hilt and scabbard is a classic characteristic of a French trooper sabre. So far, I see nothing that would indicate this blade was exported outside of France.

Thanks for the info Maxime
    I checked the sword thoroughly for markings, and I could find no foreign mark's, only French ones on the hilt, there are no marks on the blade other than the spine inscription which does seem to suggest that the sword wasn't exported.
    Does anybody know what year the French changed their sword scabbards from two rings to one.

Cheers
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by G.BARBER View Post
    I checked the sword thoroughly for markings, and I could find no foreign mark's, only French ones on the hilt, there are no marks on the blade other than the spine inscription which does seem to suggest that the sword wasn't exported.
    Does anybody know what year the French changed their sword scabbards from two rings to one.

Cheers
    Graham
    We usually say 1882, but that is much more complicated than that. 1822s that were not transformed to straight sabres in 1883 only transferred to one ring in 1887, while the gendarmerie did so in 1888.

Cheers
    Graham