Thread: Identification: Historicism sword?

Identification: Historicism sword?

A few years ago I saw a sword in an antique shop and thought it might be made in a later period to represent an earlier style of weapon, a practice common for the newly discovered enthusiasm for the Middle Ages in the Historicism of the 18th and 19th century, as I understand.

Yesterday I stumbled upon a sword on an auction page that looks exactly like the weapon from the shop, so I wondered if I was incorrect with my assessement and it is in fact a mass-produced piece of a more modern time, as I am not sure the pseudo-medieval swords from the 18th/19th century were mass-produced after a certain pattern. Of course it could be the sword from the antique shop that found its way to this auction page, although that would be quite a strange coincidence.

I am not very familiar with swords from the time of the Historicism, so I wanted to get a second opinion. Also, I am not planning to buy the sword, I just saw it while browsing and it raised my curiosity.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Richard E; 11-08-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Toledo Spanish Government weapons factory made massively historic copies already in XIXth century. Quality varies wildly, but in general if you do not handle them, they are good looking. The smaller private cutlers copied their models and made copies of copies of copies for more than a hundred years, without ever looking at the originals (mostly at Madrid Royal Armoury).
    The one you show is called something like "Mandoble de Jaime I" (which is not). You can find the modern rendition with a google search.
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 11-11-2019 at 02:36 AM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Thank you very much for the insight, that was substantially more information than I was hoping for!