Thread: Catalogue only auctions

Catalogue only auctions

Hi all,

Having never submitted a bid at one of these until this week, who can please tell me how long it usually takes to hear the good news?

And if you were not successful (clearly didn't want it enough!) do you also get informed or is it just implied from not hearing anything.

Do you get told of the winnig bid?

I bid yesterday for a lot very late in the day so I'm not surprised that I haven't heard anything yet but just impatient to celebrate my new sword!

Regards

Typically takes a couple of days before the auction results are posted, and then you should be able to see from the realized prices if you had the winning bids. If you bid online you might be able to see in your profile whether your bids won. For some reason this can take a couple of days as well... What’s really annoying is when the auctioneer sends you the invoice from abroad in the slow post.

James good luck with it. In the past I've put in low bids and been successful several times, if you don't bid you never win.
    What did you bid on??

Hi Magnus,

As it was a catalogue only auction with no online bidding I didn't think that there might still be an online facility for following the auction itself. If there was, i missed it.

Anyway, after some premature panic about this item showing on the Saleroom as having been "passed" it turns out that I won the lot.

(I didn't realise that ALL lots were showing on the Saleroom as passed, apparently it's how it typically works with catalogue only auctions).

I think you're right about the timescales though. It seems I only heard about it today because the wrong info had been taken when I registered the bid. Otherwise I could have been waiting days to hear.

Will,

It's a pattern I've been eager to add to my collection and although it's not in the best shape, I'm very happy I won it (did a little dance).

More info to follow when it lands in my hands.

Regards
    Last edited by james.elstob; 11-18-2019 at 03:12 AM.

James looking forward to your post on this sword.

My experience regarding this kind of auctions is quite bad. I've tried with Hermann Historica several times for quite a number of items, and the fact that they accept both in person (during the physical auction itself) and postal bids (more recently, even an on-line channel has been added) does not help. In each and every case I've been outbidded by the exactly the minimum amount. It is quite discouraging, and I've abandoned the practice.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Hi Juan,

I was very mindful of the possibility of underhand practices, not because of any adverse experience but there is simply no way of knowing, as an absentee bidder whether the auction is honest.

I do not enjoy being at the mercy of an auctioneer who has a vested interest in a higher sale price!

However, if you are one of the final two highest bidders and you lose, then the situation you describe will always arise.

Once the underbidder gives up there is only need for the other to bid the next increment higher in order to win.

However for the winner there is no way to truly know if an underbidder even exists! For that reason I don't think I will be using this absentee bidding system often.

Regards

I have won several bids using absentee bid forms sent in advance of the auction. Typically I won because I really wanted the item and put a high maximum bid, or the item was not very popular because of less than pristine condition. I lost several bids because I entered ”sensible” bid levels. I don’t think this is because of any malpractice by the auctioneer (when I won it was typically not at my max bid level) it’s just that a bidder who is present in the auction just needs to raise whatever bid one more time to win. So absentee bidders will always be at a disadvantage for this reason.

I have found twice my absentee bid won and I paid what I bid. I suppose if there is no lower bid they take your bid to start and if no one overbids it's yours. Sometimes bidding too high can hurt if there is no lower or higher bid. I usually put in a low bid and bid again online live if needed. Some I don't watch live online and occasionally get lucky.

Nooooooo, why does the sword fairy always arrive when I'm out the house?

Thankfully Richard Milner emailed today which is enough to take the edge off the disappointment.