Thread: Bavarian Curiassier Sword

Bavarian Curiassier Sword

Gents,

I picked up a fairly scarce Imperial Bavarian Curiassier sword at a militaria show this weekend that I thought I would show. It is made with a straight blade with two narrow fullers like the Prussian Infantry Officer Degen (IOD) but this nickeled blade is etched with the Bavarian motto, "in Treue Fest". The sword is made by WK&C and is shown in their period catalog as a Curiassier Sword. The black painted straight steel scabbard has only one fixed suspension ring indicating manufacture after circa 1910 when the second ring was ordered removed. The brass hilt has a brass wire wrapped sharkskin grip with no cypher and a three branch guard as shown in the WK&C catalogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Bavarian Regulation Pattern

George: Bavaria had at least 4 patterns authorized for private purchase..I have had them all at one time or another..

Very rare and nice item!

Here is the Regulation (Ordnanz) pattern: This is according to the Eichorn Musterbuch of 1901. All the others are authorized variations on the same palosch.

This one is virtually the same as the M 1854 Schwerer Reiter model I have that is actual issue and so marked. Note the last pic of the issue weapon, this is what they were copying for this model.

The others were variations. Keep in mind this is only the Troopers' model, the officers' model is a bit different.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 11-28-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add pix...

Thanks Dale. Yes, mine is the Trooper model with the single fixed ring as well. I picked it up from a fellow who was carrying it around in a show trying to find a buyer... which he did.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson