Thread: 2nd Dragoons (Scots Greys) Band Sword - Harry Gill

2nd Dragoons (Scots Greys) Band Sword - Harry Gill

For those that spotted this one, I was the lucky winner (second time round!) 28” unmarked blade with thin fuller. Steel scabbard with both wooden liners intact fortunately and stamped 2D over 6 and H.GILL. Going on the few contemporary prints of The Greys (by Michael Angelo Hayes, mainly) a similar sword is shown, but not in any great detail, and these seem to be in the 1830’s. Of course it would help if I could ascertain which ‘Harry’ it was as there we two (as per Mark Cloke’s published research). During the first half of the 19thC the Regiment were posted to Great Brook Street Barracks in Birmingham quite a few times, 1813, 1821, 1825, 1832, 1840-41, 1853 & 1864 to be precise, so plenty of opportunities for Messrs Gill to pop down and fit the band out! If by chance the sword is by the later Harry, it may have even gone over to The Crimea, as The Greys were apparently the only Cavalry Regiment to take their Band and instruments with them! Information on Band Swords generally seems a bit thin with very few mentioned even on SFI, and ‘Robson’ only devotes a page or so to them, presumably because they were purchased privately with no specific Pattern. N.B. For those of you concerned about the latest UK legislation regarding the delivery of ‘Bladed Articles ‘ to private addresses, this came by ParcelForce 24 will no problems. Apologies for the inverted images!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ben I did see this one but did not bid you up. Can the hilt be attached firmly? The 2D marking makes it a special one and that it has a scabbard and makers name only adds to it..

Hi Will, yes it’s all now back together firmly, the tang was fortunately still full length and flush with the top of the Lions Head as it should be, just worked loose over time I guess. Carefully checked the tang for any markings and found the number 6 or 9 stamped on either side. It’s not quite the Scots Greys Disc Hilt we all hanker after, but presumably rare all the same!

A couple of snippets...
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 11-27-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quite by chance just found another one sold at auction in 2017, so at least we can say it’s not a one off!

It would be great to own a pair of them, or more.