Thread: "Rare" Enamelled Prussian Saber 1916

"Rare" Enamelled Prussian Saber 1916

OK, here is the Prussian 1916 Ernst Busch saber, this time with pix. It seems to me that about 5% of the WW 1 made Prussian Artillery Sabers, "neuer Art" (n/A) are sometimes painted.

Most are just rusty when I find them, so it is hard to say now what the ratio was..

The Grip: Most of these made after 1891, have a Bakelite grip, during the Great War, the Germans ran short of the raw materiel or just decided to use a cheaper alternative, The wood was named in that era as "Nußbaumholz" or Walnut as it is usually translated. I have seen one German source that stated "Eichenholz" or Oak was used as well...The wood grips were varnished with a linseed oil varnish, similar to that which was used in the barrel channels of rifles and carbines. When these turn up today, the grips need a little TLC, I use Formby's Tung Oil varnish, thinned out with naptha to re-oil the wood, this soaks in and subsequent coats eventually bring back the semigloss appearance of the original finish.

Measurements are; Overall length:92 cm, Weapon length: 89 cm, blade length, (measured straight): 75 cm, max width:30 mm, and thickness: 8 mm.

This blade was apparently factory sharpened for combat...(judging by the excellent work!) Scabbard is painted with the same paint as the hilt.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Great find Dale, have you found period photos with this pattern sword?

Will: I have seen period photos of troops on the eastern front, fighting the Russians with subdued sabers, I cannot recall the book, but it was the Feldgendarmerie, IIRC. I have seen no photos of anything with this saber on the western front from that war---Not even artillery units..

Dale

I have one of these dated 1915 on the blade and 1920 on the langet, no scabbard and no grip, just the metal. When I burned the remains of the "paint" off to clean it up and de rust it, there was a definite smell of pitch or bitumen. This was the state of it and the other relic I bought with it. There was a fair bit of surface rust that had crept under the scabby surface treatment.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

DavidR: Feel free to copy my pictures for a guide if you are making a new wooden grip...I found a scabbard for US $80.00 on the net, but I do not think it can be sent to GB.

Dale

I considered a plain wooden grip, but in the end I went for the older type, leather over string over wood. Another scabbard is always a risk, my experience has been that they rarely match even from the same model and maker..... The two swords together cost me the same as a sit down pizza meal for two, and I sold the other for just a little less than I paid for the two together. So it owes me little, and I enjoy it as it now is.