Thread: Prussian Unit marks that are a mystery to me!

Prussian Unit marks that are a mystery to me!

Fellows: At last I have found some unit marks that are a mystery to me. They are on a Prussian Mod 1854 Kürrasier Palosch, it is fairly dirty and not marked a lot, but it is not French as it has 17 windings on the grips, and is dated 183? on top of the blade...

I have asked the German Language Site what they think, if an answer is given, I will post it here.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dale can we see all of the sword? Good that it has two regimental markings, I'm tempted to say the stroked out marking is a 7th Lancer Regt. In German it's Lancer, French is Lancier and English, Lancer of course.

1. Schwere-Reiter-Regiment?

It is a Prussian Mod 1854, which is a copy of the French.

According to the German Collectors, it is; 1. Schweres Reserve Reiter Regiment 3. Eskadron Waffe Nr. 141 and lined out: 7. Landwehr Reiterregiment 1. Eskadron Waffe Nr. 23

I am still wondering if it is Prussian, Bavarian, or Saxon...Before 1871, the Prussians had a lot of cavalry landwehr units, that did not make it into the later era, so it could be just Prussian.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 12-10-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: add pix...

Guys: I bought it from Norway, when it arrives, more pix. I beat the German dealer by minutes, apparently these are quite rare and desirable in the Fatherland..

I have several scabbards here that will fit..

Dale

Will: In Prussia it was "Ulanen Regiment" not Lancer...L always means Landsturm or Landwehr in Prussian stampings....

Dale