Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Sword of 2019

Just paid for a reserved piece which was on lay-away, but not received it yet... So when it arrives I will post it here as an end of year acquisition.

Nice to see so many examples turning up again as the year comes to an end. Being a bit of an eclectic collector, my favourite finds this year have been four nice pistols, two percussion and two flintlocks but I'll say no more and move on.
    There are some edged weapons but the one that pleases me most was bought at a reasonable price, in auction without a lot of thought at the time, as I was pursuing something else (without success).
    It's an Imperial German, Naval Officers pipe back, by WKC. I was drawn to it by the nice quality scabbard fittings in a style that I can't recall seeing on one of these. I didn't notice till several weeks later, on taking it into my workshop for a tidy up, that it has a rather nice Damascus blade. I can only guess that no one else had noticed as well.

Happy new year to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Lovely sword Mel, a nice Imperial naval blade is on my 2020 list!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mel H View Post
    Nice to see so many examples turning up again as the year comes to an end. Being a bit of an eclectic collector, my favourite finds this year have been four nice pistols, two percussion and two flintlocks but I'll say no more and move on.
    There are some edged weapons but the one that pleases me most was bought at a reasonable price, in auction without a lot of thought at the time, as I was pursuing something else (without success).
    It's an Imperial German, Naval Officers pipe back, by WKC. I was drawn to it by the nice quality scabbard fittings in a style that I can't recall seeing on one of these. I didn't notice till several weeks later, on taking it into my workshop for a tidy up, that it has a rather nice Damascus blade. I can only guess that no one else had noticed as well.

Happy new year to all.
    Nice sword Mel,
    Not my area at all, but I felt compelled to comment on his eyes.
    Port and Starboard navigation 'lights'?
    Very cute idea!

It looks like your deluxe Marine Offizier sword is named on the reverse fold down guard. It may be research-able.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by George Wheeler View Post
    It looks like your deluxe Marine Offizier sword is named on the reverse fold down guard. It may be research-able.
    The name appears to be FLENCK. The sword was retailed by the Deutscher Officer Verein Berlin which translates as German Officer Society. A friend who lived in Germany for a long time said that he had heard the name FLECK in the past but had no memory of the spelling with an 'N', that may narrow it down a little if I ever get round to it.

Not been very active this year but did acquire this nice French chasseur à cheval officer's sabre, type 1792. The type 1792 were privately made, so carry private maker's marks (if at all) rather than state manufacture details. In this case the maker is 'Antoine Rongé, Fourbisseur d'armes à Liège' marked on the back of the blade.

Blade 85cm ending in a 'carp's tongue'. All brass hilt with characteristic rounded lozenge shaped langets of this 1792 type.

All brass scabbard, with a neat repair to the lower part.

Looks good with its other brass hilted and scabbarded companions on the wall.

Name:  81040630_999485643749792_8958884158310973440_n.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  82012410_900379180412097_1851751823703015424_n.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  81749647_820672768393524_122847442033967104_n.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0977.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  99.9 KB

So many great swords here!

These are my two favourites for this year ...and I hope to add many more examples of them to the collection...eventually.

Name:  3F26B390-E376-489B-8A83-8FA8EA4DA5C5.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  72B31E85-761C-45C2-8C4D-2203E51D278D.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  E223095F-879D-4F02-B714-2BB1044DD6BD.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  810E4D1B-C851-4132-BB3E-D1C0AA4B8FD6.jpg
Size:  100.0 KB

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all,

Matt

Beautiful English rapier, Matthew. Congrats.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

My best sword of 2019 a nice original Model An XIII Heavy Cavalry Troopers sword like DirkS the sword has an unmodified hatchet point,no post 1815 rack numbers and even the remnants of the original red wool blade washer in place so possibly a battlefield pick up or captured sword.
    This sword is marked Manfre Rle du Klingenthal aout 1814 (August 1814) so of first restoration manufacture.
    Last edited by Michael.H; 01-04-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Bought and paid for last year, arrived today. A small, nothing that special Wakizashi, probably a merchants sword rather than samurai, but just what I have been chasing for ages. Decent condition, all complete, nothing needing to be done to it, pretty well just as it was in 1877 when the wearing of them was banned.

OK David,

We will let you get by with getting your Wak in just under the wire for 2019 this year. But, I can't quite make out the menuki in your nicely wrapped grip. What are they?
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Not too sure myself..... I think it's one of the plant type designs. What is really nice is that the kashira fuchi and kojiri are en-suite.

I paid a deposit in October, and the balance late December, it just took a week+ to reach me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Wilkinson View Post
    Nice sword Mel,
    Not my area at all, but I felt compelled to comment on his eyes.
    Port and Starboard navigation 'lights'?
    Very cute idea!
    Yes Gene, just one of those small things that brings on a smile.

Haven't been very active last year, got only few swords. Instead, I finally prepared catalog of my collection with all the pictures. May be will print it some time
    These two are favorites, silver inlaid small sword and English (?) dish hilt rapier (unfortunately missing small piece of the guard, but otherwise very good)

That silver inlaid one looks very like the fittings the Dutch were having made in Japan for the European market. Is the base metal iron, or a none magnetic alloy?

The base is blackened iron (now somewhat rusty)

Most likely European made then. The Japanese ones tended to be Shakudo based. The Royal Armouries in Leeds has a nice example of the Dutch imports from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Honey View Post
    Name:  72B31E85-761C-45C2-8C4D-2203E51D278D.jpg
Size:  97.3 KB
    Thanks! I have a shell rapier (Brescian) with a non-matching pommel. I have wondered for years from where did it came. It has two holes plugged with brass, and it is identical to yours.

The most curious sword I bought in 2019 is probably this:

Name:  1b.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  97.6 KB
    Name:  3b.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  94.1 KB
    Name:  5b.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  83.6 KB

It is a Hispano-Filipine colonial sword with a dated blade (1736) of the Dutch East Indies company (VOC section Amsterdam. It is missing its brass decorative beads. (more info in http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24137)
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 01-08-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Thanks for sharing your sword and the link to others of this style. I wondered exactly what these swords were in origin. The look rather unwieldy to me, though they look like they could do damage--how do they handle?
    Tom Donoho

Quote Originally Posted by T. Donoho View Post
    Thanks for sharing your sword and the link to others of this style. I wondered exactly what these swords were in origin. The look rather unwieldy to me, though they look like they could do damage--how do they handle?
    Each one is different. Some are clearly infantry, others look rather cavalry. That is the funny part, they came from different sources into the Philipines and then they were "philipinized". They do not look too different from current Spanish swords and they are built for bringing one or two fingers over the cross. The two I have are under 900 grams and not unwieldy at all.
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 01-09-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

This type also seems to show up in South America, primarily Brazil.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cottrell View Post
    Not been very active this year but did acquire this nice French chasseur à cheval officer's sabre, type 1792.

Name:  81040630_999485643749792_8958884158310973440_n.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  103.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael.H View Post
    My best sword of 2019 a nice original Model An XIII Heavy Cavalry Troopers sword like DirkS.

Name:  P1050594.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  94.6 KB

Great sabres, Jerry & Michael!
    Last edited by DirkS; 01-09-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Javier,

Hey, there, I was thinking that the robust (well, let me say "more robust") ones at the link you gave would make good horsemen's' swords. I don't know if the Filipinos of the period rode horses in battle, but I could see this style used effectively from horseback. On a tangent, it would be interesting to know if the Filipinos trained in Spanish sword techniques. These have an interesting "flavor"--like the espada ancha.
    Last edited by T. Donoho; 01-10-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    Tom Donoho

The priority parcel from last year arrived today. The smallsword that looked like it was likely silver on brass is actually gold on silver. Very bling in its day.

Name:  DSC00537.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  102.4 KB

The wire work and tapes very nicely done. A little bit of everything going on here.

Name:  DSC00548.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  99.9 KB

Full length 31" blade with a bit of a bend but doesn't detract much. I would say it 2019 was a great year for me in finding bargains. I'll post a separate thread at some point.

Cheers
    GC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast