Thread: Q.O.C.H. P'85 Cavalry Trooper's Sword

Q.O.C.H. P'85 Cavalry Trooper's Sword

Hi All. Hoping that someone here on the forum can help with this. A number years ago, maybe 2012, '13 or '14, I came across a Cavalry Trooper's sword at the MAX Show in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that is pictured below. I had it in my hands and should have purchased it then but I didn't. It later showed up on ebay and then showed up on the website of JB Military Antiques in Australia. In 2015 it was sold through an online auction in the U.K. by C & T Auctioneers and Valuers Ltd in Kenardington. It was lot 56 and the auction date was May 5, 2015. It was described as "British 1885 Pattern Trooper’s Sword of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders, Blade 33inch etched ‘Robt Mole & Son Makers Birmingham’ retaining much original polish and with many stamps including issue 11/85. Regulation steel hilt and scabbard both stamped ‘Q.O.C.H. 25’". I'm interested in this sword and hoping that someone here might know it's current location/owner.
    Cheers, Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 12-29-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Highlanders never carried cavalry trooper swords so it's Queen's Own Canadian Hussars. I have not seen this particular sword but I do have a QOCH marked troopers sword.

Actually this is an 1882P troopers sword originally would have the scabbard with two fixed rings one below the other and not the later opposing fixed rings.

Here is another example wrongly identified in ‘The British Cavalry Sword from 1600’ by Charles Martyn.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I believe Martyn got it wrong because he sourced the sword in the UK. When Canadians went to the UK to train before fighting in WW1 they traded in their older pattern swords for the then new 1908p leaving many older Canadian swords in the UK.
    The QOCH sword I have is #90. There are only a few known with the marking.