Thread: AN XIII Prussian Capture and Use

AN XIII Prussian Capture and Use

Guys: I will post this here, instead of the best sword of 2019 page..

I received from Norway, a Prussian issued and used captured AN XIII Cuirassier Palosch. The top of the blade bears the date the Prussians rebuilt it to their own style. This was long before the fashion of turning down the guard became allowed in Prussia, that would wait until 1890..

The Prussians and Russians took tons of weapons from French hands after Waterloo, the Prussians were very fond of this design and immediately ditched the older model for this one.

It still has the hatchet tip on the blade, it was never modified to the symmetrical point..

The French Italic script is visible on top of the blade under the right light, I could not capture this with my smart phone---sorry!

The Prussians issued this weapon to their various Landwehr Cavalry units before 1871, and it bears the markings of two of these units. I have one other of these that is inaccessible right now that is marked for the Garde du Corps, I stashed it away as an investment years ago..
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Why not post it on both, more easily found then as threads are forced down the page by other entries.

Dale interesting that the grip wire is a smaller gauge and silver than the usual thicker brass wire.

It is Brass and typical of Prussia in that era...