Thread: Requesting help identifying this (possibly) French saber...?

Requesting help identifying this (possibly) French saber...?

I found this saber at an antiques market in Europe. It looks a little bit to me like a French briquet-style saber. The grip is wood, I’ve been unable to find any markings on the blade or hilt. I looked online and through all my books but the quillon with slotted perforations and the rolled finial don’t seem to have a match in any pictures I can find. Can anyone help me figure out what I found? I appreciate it.

Thanks,
    RJF
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I have a rendevous with death at some disputed barricade, when spring comes back with rustling shade and apple blossoms fill the air. I have a rendevous with death when spring brings back blue days and fair. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendevous. -Alan Seeger

I would say Austrian, WW1 infantry officer sabre.

The scabbard with a fixed bar on the back for hanger attachment and a fixed ring for the other hanger attachment suggest Austrian as does the slotted quillon. Was the grip wrapped at one time?
    Tom Donoho

I did a bit of looking up recently because I have seen these turning up on the market. To the best of my knowledge, Austro-Hungarian 1860 infantry officers sword, possibly cavalry. The later ones are plated, chrome or nickel. I rather fancy getting one myself.

Tom Donoho, thanks. Yes, it appears the grip was once wrapped with some material. I can see a few shards still sticking out from the ring above the guard...
    Last edited by R. Freeman; 01-02-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    I have a rendevous with death at some disputed barricade, when spring comes back with rustling shade and apple blossoms fill the air. I have a rendevous with death when spring brings back blue days and fair. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendevous. -Alan Seeger

David, appreciate the insight. So this is likely an earlier version of this model?
    I actually passed on it at first, but my wife brought me back to the dealer’s table a second time, to see if I wanted to buy anything...

It looks like an Austrian cavalry sabre. Not sure which particular model. The plain and unperforated knuckle guard doesn’t look familiar. Typically there would be some designs. The grip was probably once covered with fishskin and wire.

Yes, a version of the Austrian Model 1877 "Light Version" Cavalry Saber. These were used by mounted artillery batteries after a reorganization of the artillery in 1876. The backstraps of these swords generally have "ears" on them but yours does not so perhaps a private purchase rather than an issue sword.

I hope this is helpful.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Yes, this is very helpful! I knew the SFI team could help me narrow this down. Interesting the lack of “ears” on the backstrap as you pointed out. Thank you very much for the additional insight.