Thread: Rare Georgian Sword Knot

Rare Georgian Sword Knot

Thought this ultra rare knot was worthy of note for those who weren’t watching it last night. Sold for a whopping £372!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very nice...
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

I don't think the price is too high. The know would complete a valuable sword as it would appear in its time. I have a similar Victorian knot that appears unused in excellent condition and I would want the same for it.

I would love to have my collection with original knots on each sword but it seems most swords are stripped of their knots before sold. Many reenactor websites have repops which will do in a pinch. That being said, when I see original knots for sale, I buy them. Attached is a repop knot on a probable repop sword. I haven't discussed this sword on the Forum, something for a later time.

Greg

Unusual and interesting knot Will, what country do you think it derives from?

Ben the knot is British

Certainly not a regulation pattern I’ve ever encountered before or seen documented, what sword d’you reckon it belongs to, a Mameluke maybe?
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 01-06-2020 at 01:00 AM.

Referring to Robsons the knot fits several descriptions from HHC to HC and foot guards, infantry. Unfortunately there is not a good source to narrow it down, would have to view examples on swords and even this can be tricky. Another interest of mine is guard liners, I recently found a buff liner on a Coldstream Guard sword.
    I should add this particular knot came with a Gordon Highlander sword but I don't believe it was correct and it was attached with an old piece of twine to the sword, the knots strap not showing signs of being used on a sword.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 01-06-2020 at 04:17 AM.

As you say Will, little written on them, is the image a good representation, i.e, silver with crimson (purple) lines?

Gold and crimson. Made out of the fine metal fabric, not the newer nylon stuff.

I like it!