Thread: British Sword..

British Sword..

Gentlemen: I got this today...I suspect it is a post WW 2 German made British Sword, I am not sure who used this, but it came with two scabbards and has the GR VI cypher. E und F Hörster-Solingen made it...

What do you guys think of this one? It was super cheap and had both scabbards so I had to buy it.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Dale,

it's a British 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword, with a George 6th cypher so 1852 at the latest.

I'm not familiar with Horster but Oldswords suggest they took this name in 1850 so reasonably short dating period.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by james.elstob View Post
    it's a British 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword, with a George 6th cypher so 1852 at the latest.

I'm not familiar with Horster but Oldswords suggest they took this name in 1850 so reasonably short dating period.
    1952, surely? So from 1936-1952. But I think we can definitely rule out purchase during 1939-45!

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Oops, quite correct John, I was posting before my morning coffee, big mistake!

Gentlemen: Is there any way to determine pre or post war? The trademark looks like the pre war Hörster mark.

BTW: You would not believe how cheap this one was! No bids and some tightwad offers, I just snapped it up!

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 01-09-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Dale, there is nothing I can see about the sword itself which will tell you pre or post war.

Your best bet I think is the style of the horster mark and whether it persisted post war. Its certainly seen on many nazi era blades.

Solingen City was bombed heavily during the war, I wonder how quickly its industry got back on its feet?

It would also be interesting to know if there was any post war prejudice from British officers towards a German made sword. I doubt if a tailor is going to split hairs about who makes a sword blade if there is greater profit to be made.

I've seen Horster 1897p swords used in the Canadian Army, as officers rarely purchase their own swords these days the swords are issued out for parades etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    Gentlemen: Is there any way to determine pre or post war? The trademark looks like the pre war Hörster mark.

BTW: You would not believe how cheap this one was! No bids and some tightwad offers, I just snapped it up!

Dale
    I suspect that there was a little doubt as to it's authenticity, there are a lot of replicas about of this pattern. Can you post a close up of the grip?

Grip

David: Here you go...I do not think anyone fakes this maker, especially since Wilkinson brings the $$$$...

Like you say, Wilkinson's are the go to for the fakers, and this one does not have the common features of such. Interesting to see a Solingen made Patt. 97 as for the most part they seem to have been British made. I think the unfamiliarity of the maker, and the good condition were offputting to other bidders. It looks like you got a bargain as a result.

Would it be possible that this blade was bought pre-war, as was often the case with retailers stockpiling, and then inserted into a GVI hilt later on?

Max I don't believe Horster and other Solingen makers sold just blades in the 20th century though they did much earlier. What makes you think this could be the case?
    The blade should also have a George VI etched on the blade.

More Pix of Blade

Guys: Here are some shots of the blade markings. I just received it today..The famous two triangles mark is opposite the Hörster Trademark.

Dale