Thread: New Members and site complications.

New Members and site complications.

At the risk of seeming foolish, I find I must no longer refer folk to joining SFI. I have made several referrals to this site since the last new member was vetted in October.

While still an active archive and with contributions from extant membership, I suppose we can continue on but not be able to see new members. I just can't see myself acting as proxy for all of their inquests.

I do refer folk to the Facebook page but some will not be interested.

Along with the server move is that any reference links we have posted elsewhere are dead, as they don't resolve lacking the VB addy change. Little stuff like the icons and emoticons are no big deal but are other indications of the lack of usability.

I am really not trying to act as a negative Nancy here. SFI remains at the top of my discussion bookmarks and I have always considered SFI as a place to send folk for info. If they can't register, what's the point of even sending folk this way?

Cheers
    GC

Server move?

So, that's why I don't receive update-emails for threads I subscribed to any longer?

And also that's why I couldn't change my email address because I never received the confirmation mesage from the forum. This also lead to me not being able to post or start a new thread any longer (because i didn't confirm my email change). It didn't help that when i emailed Mark to look into this, the reply was utter silence (I suppose this email address isn't working any longer). In the end I had to email directly to another member to contact Mark to help.

Indeed, not a change for the better.

I first noticed it the end of October last year and Mark did pop up in a thread here and then to me in fb mentioning it as the move on or about 10/21.

server migration was Monday but we had a minor speed bump or two that weren’t fully resolved until yesterday. Then Apache was restarted today do all should be resolved
    The last I've read on the matter, aside from questioning browsers (not the problems).

Cheers
    GC

I don't know if Mark gets the emails but the addy is active. I have had contact only through Facebook.

I don’t use Facebook and will not.

I have just noticed that you no longer get notifications to your email address that there is a private message. You have to log in to find if you have any.
    David.

Blog Entries
    Glen, kindly post specific topics in the appropriate forum (a point that really shouldn’t have to be made).

Dirk, your emails seem to have gone into spam (it happens way too frequently but this webmail is hideous at addressing it conclusively). A number of days ago I tried to address your issue by making an adjustment to your user group via the admin dashboard - for some reason your account was set to users awaiting moderation. You shouldn’t be experiencing the same issue, but let me know via PM if that’s not the case.

David, looking over the toggle settings, I’m at a loss for explanation. I assume the current CMS version isn’t handshaking with user email notifications. It’s a bugger I’ll have it pass on to server tech support. Sadly, I’m operating this with limited resources and it’s strictly fly by the seat of the pants...
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries
    Update:

The server level techs will be looking at the wonky characteristics as noted above as well as why the webmail flags email from real people as spam, while email advertising Russian brides gets through just fine.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin