Thread: Bodley & Etty 1840 1857 Lombard St, London

Bodley & Etty 1840 1857 Lombard St, London

I am posting this one up in proxy, as the fellow has wandered into some other boards but is unable to register here at the moment.

Wilkinson No Plug- Dress Sword?
    There are no #'s, there is the Wilkinson trademark near the hilt and on the other side there is Wilson late Bodley&Etty London. With some research I found that Wilson obtained the outfitter in 1857 so the sword doesn't pre-date that. I read that Wilkinson proof plugged all their swords but a collector told me this could be a dress sword, not plugged as it was for show. Length of blade 32 1/2", weight 1lbs. 9.2oz., blade width where it meets the hilt is 25mm, just shy of 1". The scabbard can be pulled apart at the taped sections when the sword is unsheathed. The question 'is this really a Wilkinson?' seems to me to be the best and hardest to answer, but I am not knowledgeable in this area.

Thanks. I tried to join the SFI and the system won't work. The attachment to Wilkinson outfitters comes up as a corrupt file when I click on it. I did read the part about Wilkinson swords around c. 1910 having an etched trademark and no plug- like mine. It seems to me that it would be best if I could find info about Wilson who acquired Bodley&Etty outfitters in 1857. The sword looks earlier than 1910 and I think I read that Wilson let go Bodley&Etty in the 19thc. well before 1910 but I could be wrong. Were you able to download the file that held the info about Wilkinson outfitters and their marks? Thanks for the helpful comment.
    As mentioned elsewhere, old linked threads are no longer active, so if someone can point to any data useful to the matter on Wilkinson outfitters, or info on the sword at all, I'm sure the fellow will be appreciative.

Cheers
    GC

"I read that Wilkinson proof plugged all their swords but a collector told me this could be a dress sword, not plugged as it was for show."

I believe there was a thread here that discussed proof inserts and that Wilkinson started using these at a certain date--so these proof inserts are not found on all of Wilkinson's sword blades. Wilkinson's blades show up with the depression for the insert empty--the insert possibly fell out or was picked out for some reason in its lifetime.
    Tom Donoho

This sword is not a Henry Wilkinson sword. Interesting there is no proof disc but a "W" is etched in its place. I would date the sword between 1850-1854+- due to the folding guard and Wilkinson type blade which is post pipe back blade. Lastly the folding guard does not have the "S" shape in it. There was another "Wilkinson" dealing in swords in the early 1850's and capitalizing on the Wilkinson name.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 01-11-2020 at 04:18 PM.

The "other" Wilkinson was at 30 Cockspur Street, Charring Cross, London, and was said to trade under that name for a short period 1848/50 before a trademark dispute with the "real" Henry Wilkinson put a stop to that.

However the Westminster rate books of the time suggest that Wilkinson at cockspur Street was also a Henry and other sources suggest he was trading from that address for many years. Newspapers advertisements show that "H Wilkinson" was selling hats from 30 Cockspur Street in 1834.

I've seen a few examples of swords attributed to this "other" Wilkinson with various proof marks. one had a "W" proof disc and notably the style of the W was similar to the etched W in this example.

Here is the thread:

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...ot-a-Wilkinson

Unfortunately I can't find a working link to the earlier swordforum thread mentioned therein where RW-L comments.

Here is another thread

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...fake-Wilkinson

I don't think the mere fact that the proof mark is a W can definitively attribute this sword to the Wilkinson of Cockspur Street (or any Wilkinson), it's possible but your dating of 1857 when Wilson took over Bodley & Etty suggests it is unlikely.

P. S. Perhaps it might be W for "warranted" but the interlocked triangles clearly play on the "real" Henry Wilkinson trademark.

P. P. S. Dating I would say 1857-1860 as Will said because of the folding guard.
    Last edited by james.elstob; 01-12-2020 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Further consideration

Here is my comparison of the Pall Mall Wilkinson and the Cockspur St. Wilkinson proof slugs from the AWOL thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you very much Glen and SFI for helping me get registered.

You are very welcome. Welcome aboard.