Thread: french bayonet

french bayonet

afternoon all ... few questions about a old French bayonet at a antique all , I believe it is a French mod 1866 1) the blade is mfg at chatalleraunt and the date is 1868 the 2 inspections marks look like a S and E in a oval and on the reverse side is a number 3 stamped in the center of the blade 2) there is a letter A and the numbers 98183 stamped in the hand guard plus 2 more smaller insp marks there also thanks for any help you can give me about this bayonet also I have seen insp marks on French swords but the letter A and the numbers I have not seen before again thanks for your help ... bill if it is a good bayonet I will go back for it !!

Made for the Model 1866 Chassepot Rifled Infantry needle fire Musket, the style of the blade is generally known as a 'Yataghan'. They are not particularly rare.

On this same note, I have a couple of these bayonets plus some hangers. Are there any books or websites anyone could recommend for deciphering what the different letters and numbers are on French pieces?

There will be a fair bit of information on this forum if you do some research, 'poincon' may be a useful word to use in the searches.

The A98183 is a serial number. The 'A' denotes manufacture at Chatellerault...if it had it's original scabbard it would carry the same number......also the rifle on which it was individually fitted would have the same serial number.The '3' denotes the source of the steel from which the blade was forged.The other stamps or poinçons are inspection marks for both the blade and the final assembly.
    The best books for french poinçons are the 'Sabres et Epees series by Petard .Tome III is the only one readily available and it's in french.
    Niall Dignan

Just a note, this style of bayonet was officially called a "baionnette-sabre". I don't know when the "yataghan" term became a thing, but it is never heard of in 19th century sources.

Great, thanks Mel and Niall. I actually had that book on my EBay watch list, I’ll look at it more seriously now when it comes around again.

thanks guys for the info on this bayonet bill

oh one other item is there a list of some type at the chatellraunt armory that would show the poincons used there at various years ? possibly a web site or etc or here at SFI ? some where ??? please bill

Quote Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
    Just a note, this style of bayonet was officially called a "baionnette-sabre". I don't know when the "yataghan" term became a thing, but it is never heard of in 19th century sources.
    The double recurved blade has been in use for many years in middle eastern swords, generally known as a Yataghan, the blade style was adopted throughout Europe on a large selection of nineteenth C. sword bayonets. The term seems to be one that has become commonly used to cover all of them. It was certainly in use among bayonet collectors when I first started my collection in the early 1960's.
    Last edited by Mel H; 01-14-2020 at 02:58 AM.