Thread: french arnsenals

french arnsenals

afternoon all … looking for the names of all the French arsenals says from 1700's to now a while back seen a sword or bayonet that just had on the spine Cath xxxxxx could not make out the rest of it hope that makes sence thanks bill

Bad spelling for Chatellerault?
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

that is what I am wondering ??? also there has got to be a few arsenals there !

What model was it on? By the 1830s onward you had Châtellerault which was the main official factory, followed by St Etienne who handled mostly bayonets. Versailles, Maubeuge and Charleville were by then closed down. Coulaux at Klingenthal was now a private enterprise catering to officers, and maintined another factory in Mutzig which closed down in 1870. The same year, Klingenthal now became German.

Out of all these, only Châtellerault, Couleaux, Versailles, St-Étienne and Mutzig made bladed weapons, as far as I am aware.

There are also some German factories that imitated these markings, and of course a few private makers and retailers also marked their swords, but very few imitated the official cursive engravings.

thanks for the reply very interesting French sword bayonet m1866 for chespott rifle the 2 poincons are a either a F or a E in oval but bottom of the foot is almost warn away so either F Or E the other one is a star and a S in a oval also and the guard has a A 98183 stamped in it also with the same 2 poincons also but smaller stamps and Chat is shorten to this... thanks for you help really very interesting ...bill

Gentlemen: These are the assigned letters for French Arsenals, for bayonets and firearms..

MAC: A,B,C,D, & E

MAS: F,G,H,J,K,L,M,N,P, & Q I and O not used

MAT: R,S,T, & U

This was the usage after 1871, until WW 2. Somewhere I have a Chassepot made at Mutzig, I will have to look and see what letters they used...It was converted to the metallic cartridge, and then to 8 MM Lebel for WW 1...Quite rare to see..

BTW: Your bayonet with the A prefix is Chatellereault, that is all it could be.

Dale

thanks Dale for the very interesting reply now for me being not so smart i have to know (sorry) what does the MAC the MAS and the MAT stand for so these 3 abbreviations above ???? which is which one ?? sorry thanks again bill

William:

MAC is Chatellereault
    MAS is St Etienne
    MAT is Tulle

Dale

Thank you Dale for the info on the French arsenals markings ... bill

No problem, glad to help...

Dale

now I got another question about some old papers I saw on a german soldier poss ww1 his name is Karl Weiland from Dusseldorf there were 5 various pieces of paper on him a 25 year pin and paper work a ww2 black wound badgewith paper word also and a sort of gold iron cross with the years 1914-1918 in it with paper work and some type paper work also being in a infany reg 16 52u 135 that is about all I can read so far with this little info is there a god place to start to get more info on him ? I can try and seen if I can get more some how thanks for any help you can give me ...bill

Guys: Mutzig until 1870...D & E were their letters, after 1871, MAC used these two letters..

Dale

I am looking for info on Karl Weiland from Dusseldorf Germany who served in ww1 where could I look for info on this solider also see above for other info thanks ..bill