Thread: English Osborn Gunby 1800s Artillery sabre to Cap Thomas Harris Napoleonic

English Osborn Gunby 1800s Artillery sabre to Cap Thomas Harris Napoleonic

This looks to be artillery with the cross canon so never thought it might belong to the famous Thomas Harris which wouldve been quite a common name but just picked it up again and now im scratching my head as to original owner, the chap i bought it off said it was 1808 but never seen the like. Anyway very pretty sword so thought people might enjoy
    Regards
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images           

This early and named presentation sword is quite remarkable.

Somewhat similar sword hilt found in Richard Dellars book The British Cavalry Sword 1788-1912 pg. 263 plate 24.8, 24.10

The guard is a fascinating assembly of motifs.

I'd love to know if you can spot G or GG at the base of the blade, under the langet.

In my image files, I do have a bright etched blade of the Napoleonic era that is obviously by O&G but with US motif and also the G mark at the base of the blade. My take is that G and GG indicate the refined cast steel of the period but opinion varies.

Cheers
    GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 03-03-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Morning from Perth Australia.
    Yes! has a G stamped both sides under langet, never noticed before as i had to get in direct sunlight for them to show up and really hard to take photo but definitely there. What were the other thoughts on the G stamp?
    cheers Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Somewhat similar sword hilt found in Richard Dellars book The British Cavalry Sword 1788-1912 pg. 263 plate 24.8, 24.10
    Dont have the Richard Dellars book The British Cavalry Sword 1788-1912, ill see if i can purchase
    Thanks!

Hello Phil I sent you a pm. Here is a link to the book: http://thebritishcavalrysword.com/
    Osborn Gunby seem to be a link to the G. Many of their swords have a G or GG marking.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Hello Phil I sent you a pm. Here is a link to the book: http://thebritishcavalrysword.com/
    Osborn Gunby seem to be a link to the G. Many of their swords have a G or GG marking.
    Lovely, will grab
    Many thanks