Thread: British Engineers 1857 pattern , dated and Initialed 1854, april 4th

British Engineers 1857 pattern , dated and Initialed 1854, april 4th

Ok Chaps , Mystery sword Ive had for a bit , engineers pattern but dated 1854 april 4th with initials , Pillin of Soho on blade, possible rehilted ... maybe
    Thoughts please
    Attached Images Attached Images           

If the 1854 etching is contemporaneous with the blade manufacture then it was rehilted post 1857.

You are not necessarily looking for a royal engineers officer with those initials. There is no guarantee that the original owner was RE. Edit: is there any RE emblem on the blade?

I haven't looked through the full index but I can tell you there are no RE officers listed in Hart's in 1858 or 1861 under SVC who were commissioned in 1854.

I can also tell you there are no militia officers in Hart's 1854/55 with those initials.
    Last edited by james.elstob; 03-04-2020 at 06:31 AM.

It may be an odd coincidence but on the 4th April 1854 the Shanghai Volunteer Corps fought in the Battle of Muddy Flatts. The date is one the SVC commemorate

It does seem slightly odd to have a full date if this just represents a commission date.

Appears to be a commemorative blade later rehilted. The pommel nut protrudes more than many originally hilted blades which is somewhat typical of rehilts.
    Find an officer in the SVC who transferred to the engineers or vol engineers post 1854, not an easy task.

That the date is commemorative were my initial thoughts as well. The Shanghai Volunteer Corps seems a likely match for the initials and date.

Fortunately Pillin's move to Gerrard Street limits the period you need to review..... Only 31 years instead of 38! Phew
    Last edited by james.elstob; 03-04-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Morning!,
    No, just the date both sides , initials , normal scroll work , Pillins in Soho.