Thread: Bavarian Infantry Officer Sword

Bavarian Infantry Officer Sword

Gents,

I thought I would post an Imperial Bavarian Infantry Officer sword that I picked up at SOS last month. This is a Bavarian Infantry Officer sword made in the form of a South German sword which in turn is patterned after the Austro-Hungarian Infantry Officer sword. This sword was manufactured by Carl Kaiser & Company in Solingen circa 1835-1902 according to Bezdek and Walter. This dating of when Carl Kaiser & Co. was working may well be incorrect since the second suspension ring on the scabbard of German swords was not abolished until around 1909.

The shape of the gilt brass hilt is similar to the Austrian Infantry Officer sword and the grip is sharkskin. The blade is nickeled with the Bavarian motto of "In Treue Fest" etched on both sides. The steel scabbard is painted black and has one suspension ring with no regain loop on the back of the suspension ring band. I have attached a Bavarian Mourning Portepee to the sword in the proper tie.

I was happy to find this sword at SOS.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

George,

If it were a Bavaria 1855 Infantry Officers (Portepee NCO) sword, would it not carry the crest and motto, (Bavarian “In Treue Fest” marked)? This might just be an Austrian sword. I can't see the engraving. Both of mine have this on both sides.

A fellow George.
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Thanks for the reply George.

This particular sword does have the Bavarian motto "In Treue Fest" etched on both the obverse and reverse of the blade. It is almost impossible to see in the photos though. These South German style swords do all resemble each other.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Ludwig II IOS

Guys: I have one with the cypher of Ludwig, virtually the same as this one, but no motto on blade, just the cypher..

The motto was added in the 1890's, before that they had the cypher of Ludwig or Maximillian on the blades, I think there was a regency for a while and eventually they mandated the motto, even after Ludwig III was crowned as King.

Pix added, the cypher is hard to get due to the nickel plate finish...note the old style portepee, this is from before 1871. Scabbard is nickel with two rings.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 03-09-2020 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Add Pix