Thread: Prussian Mod 1819 Kürassier Pallosch

Prussian Mod 1819 Kürassier Pallosch

Guys: I obtained this rare sword from Vincent Koch, better known as Imperial German Bayonets on You Tube. Took exactly a month to arrive from Germany to the US. Due to flight cancellations, had to wait for a full load to travel to the US...

No maker is visible, stamped for the 5th Squadron of the 5th Kürrasieren, weapon # 41. I suspect it is a veteran of the war of 1870-71, as it bears no other unit marks. Note: Before the reform of and standardization of unit stamping in the 1880's, the Eskadron was indicated by a block letter, "E" being the 5th Squadron in that usage. I made an error in the pix, it is "41" not "01" for weapon number,

The Czar of Russian presented this model to the King of Prussia in 1819, the sent a lot of them to the Germans in honor of the defeat of Napoleon...This is a Russian issue design for Cuirassiers.

The Prussian had already taken as many heavy cavalry swords as the could from the French, so these were somewhat superfluous to their needs, but they issued them anyhow. I have seen only two of these in the flesh since 1972..

I will post some more pix later...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 04-05-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Great find Dale, an impressive sword!

Nice find, congratulations, I have never seen this type before, do you have scabbard as well?

I believe this former trooper (who obviously kept his gear after emigrating to Minnesota) carries this pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found one on line in the US......He will ship shortly..

Dale