Thread: What could this be?

What could this be?

The makers mark reads: "A C S" around a libra/scale. The washer is out of a red textile.

Full length: 93cm / 36,6"
    Blade length: 80cm / 31,5"
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Rafael Rojas; 04-09-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Rafael: You have a Prussian Artillery extra purchase saber, made by Alex. Coppel in Solingen...Most likely from before 1914.

Dale

Thanks a lot for the identification!

Dale--why is this an extra purchase item? It seems rather plain to me--is because the blade is heftier, perhaps?
    Tom Donoho

Tom: It is nickel plated, has a fuzzy red blade bumper and no state property marks. A cannonier, upon serving his first three years of active duty could buy one. All sorts were offered, with varying blade weights and features. I think this one was one of the heavier ones.

Dale

Dale were these early, WWI blades used throughout WWII for parades and such? Obviously not a weapon of choice for a machine gun removal kit but neither were WWII nco.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thanks. Yes, that blade looks heftier. He could buy one--could he wear it for any functions?
    Tom Donoho

Tom and Fellows: These were worn for reserve duty if they wished, or just hung on the wall..Certain functions might have required a sword, but I do not have any information on that..

Dale

Thanks.
    Tom Donoho