Thread: For Sale: Bugei Samurai Katana

For Sale: Bugei Samurai Katana

I’m selling a beautiful Bugei “Samurai” Katana.

Blade: 29.5"; w/ habaki (collar), 30.5"
    Tsuka (handle): 11"
    Included: the original saya (scabbard); brown sageo (tying sash) and sword bag.
    $725

I used this solely for Iaido practice for 6 months before sustaining joint injuries that forced me to suspend training. I may return to practice again, but otherwise it’s best to sell this sword to allow present space to clear.

The katana is in excellent condition – I have included extensive photos. Please look in particular at the shots showing the top of the blade: Mune is shown at different angles. You should see how straight it is. While previous owner told me that during his cutting, the blade sustained a minuscule bend, he later had it professionally straightened. That individual did a superlative job. I didn’t notice any issue on acquiring it -- sword is quite straight and I enjoyed it for Iaido.

There is some superficial surface wear on the yokote (dividing line between the kisaki tip and body of sword). There’s also a tiny ( less than 1cm) mark on the saya (scabbard), barely noticeable and probably not worth mentioning but katana aesthetics being about perfection, I should note this. Otherwise the blade is bright, very sharp, and has been regularly oiled with shoji oil and maintained. Wrapping and fittings are tight.

Given the current lockdown climate, and because of these minor issues, I am pricing this Bugei Katana accordingly.

Preference given to those local to the Los Angeles area, as international shipping seems delayed during this lockdown period.

Here is your chance to have a sword made by Bugei, a very reputable company. The Bugei “Samurai” is robust, suitable for tameshigiri as well as Iado (though of course, consult with your instructor – good to have strong wrists for a strongly built, no-joke sword; in general this isn’t a blade for those under 5’ 6”).

(buyer pays shipping/any applicable service fees if relevant)
    Attached Images Attached Images                 

G'day mate, I'll take it please. I live in Australia, but if shipping ends up being an issue I do have an account with Shipito (shipping forwarder) who have offices in California. Just to confirm was this one of the Swedish powdered steel models ( I vaguely seem to rememeber they used railroad steel for early models).

I used to have both. To share my humble opinion, the railroad steel version of the Samurai was tougher. The edge was more durable and less likely to chip, but it could be just mine. They both had very nice profile and very nice hada (for what it is).

Good luck with the sale, Bugei Samurai is one hell of a production sword! You can't find any better, especially at that price.

Bugei Samurai - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yong View Post
    G'day mate, I'll take it please. I live in Australia, but if shipping ends up being an issue I do have an account with Shipito (shipping forwarder) who have offices in California. Just to confirm was this one of the Swedish powdered steel models ( I vaguely seem to rememeber they used railroad steel for early models).
    Hi, Michael.

Wonderful - from a previous sale of another item, I was told that the US Post office was still shipping, just taking longer. I can check regarding the costs.

I will also check on the Swedish powdered steel. I believe so but will confirm. I actually don't recall the railroad steel models (from over 20 years ago?). I'm wondering if there's a physical way I can verify this.

Will PM you.

SOLD pending transaction --

I would love to change the title in the thread. Would anyone happen to know how to do this?

Thank you!